X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just wondering?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering?

I hope that I am not speaking out of turn, but is the Quaich setting forth to adventures new, in 2019?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question! Do you have it Steve?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If so I would love to have the quaich show up to the Tartan Tuesday 5th Anniversary May 7th.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very good question.

I floated the idea of another trip for the quaich a few years ago and was met with luke warm response.

Since then it has sat on a shelf.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on chaps, have a go! Its a small way to make our kilted world just that bit smaller and is a great way to put faces to names too and speaking from personal experience, its fun!

If I might make one small observation though? From what I have seen, it is generally better if there are short visits, say two weeks perhaps three, before the Quaich resumes its travels once more. That way interest is kept fresh for the members as a whole and not forgotten as the Quaich is "lost" in some backwater or other.

Just saying.

Oh and count me in for another Quaich visit too! If Scotland fits into any proposed itinerary.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 31st March 19 at 11:03 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe someone can give us newer members a rundown of the xmarks quaich history and how the whole thing works.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story of the travelling Quaich can be found in its own forum section

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...play.php?f=278

But basically There was once a story written by member Panache about a dirigible taken on a quest to find the source of the world's most prized sporran fur.

That story led to a small wooden dirigible travelling around the world mailed from member to member.

When the dirigible was hangered for the last time we bought a large Quaich and sent it, along with a logbook on an adventure.

The travelling Quaich and its logbook, have circled the globe 3 times. It has been to the beach where the Japanese tidalwave came ashore. It has been interviewed on Australian radio.

Along the way it collected souvenirs of its travels. Small pins, flags, books, Scotch bottle corks, and even an oyster shell.
    The logbook records its travels and the autographs of those who have shared it. Even Diana Gabaldon, the author of the "Outlander" books.

All of this is on display for anyone who visits X Marks HQ.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could get in on that action.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uiach Signing

After a fond link re-visit to the great send-off for the Quaich from Victoria all those years ago, may I suggest we do it again during the Victoria Highland Games in British Columbia, May 19, 20, 21? That's the weekend of the Queen's birthday celebration, too (Queen Victoria, by birth date, but in Canada we recognise this as a national holiday for our beloved Queen Elizabeth, as well).

Now I know that Steve and Bobbie will be far too busy at the Games to arrange this with all they are committed to do at the Games already, but we have other members in Victoria. Perhaps Macman: you might call us together? Could this also be a time to bury old bones? Maybe pipe us to a Quaich Signing?

And from there: I suggest the Quaich continue on its way to Kilt Kamp 2019 in the USA (July 21, etc.) and from there by rush to Jock in Lochaber. He could spend a few days with it and then bring it a bit north to meet me (again) at to the Highland Field Sports at Moy Hall (August 2 and 3), and either together or separately, Jock and I could take it on tours of Lochaber, Badenoch, Strathdearn, Culloden....

And it may be that we could entice Peter Macdonald and others in Scotland to join us at Moy .

Just suggestions, of course, and where The Quaich goes from Canada, USA, Scotland maybe we need confirmed dates and occasions, not just "I would love to host"?

If we don't have a schedule beyond September, I am more than happy to bring The Quaich back to its home in British Columbia when I return sometime late in the Fall.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 31st March 19 at 07:34 PM.

14. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rex, that is a great idea! I'll connect with Steve and see what we can do.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast