X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look into the past

Interesting look at the past. Very large, and unusual sporran. I've not seen anything like it before. I'd like to see OCR chime in on this one.

Enjoy

http://pioneercurator.blogspot.com/2012/02/

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that sporran's a monster! The cantle is very unusual in style...so much so that I wonder if it wasn't made in the US: there can't have been many sporran makers in Utah at the time, he would have had to communicate an approximation of what he wanted to a local craftsman, resulting in the sporran we see.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to note it's a box pleated kilt. Love those Wilsons colours!

I'm very curious about the numbers on the cuff of the hose. Never seen that before.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I'm very curious about the numbers on the cuff of the hose. Never seen that before.
    I was wondering about that too.

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No surprise about the box-pleating at that date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first thought on seeing the numbers on the hose are that at some point they've been formally cataloged in a collection some time ago. I've seen similar numbering on instruments in the national music museum while doing some recording work for them. The numbers on the hose seem to be much more conspicuous though; I wonder if someone has flipped the hose from what used to be the hidden side for some reason. Catalog numbers are usually hidden when items from a museum's collection are on display when they aren't actually written on hang tags.
    Speculation on my part really, it's just my first though on seeing the hose.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For one thing, I wonder where they got the 1845 date on the kilt from.

In the photo he's an elderly man. His kit in the photo could well date from the 1880s through the 1890s.

I wonder if the kilt is an ex-79th New York kilt. I have seen photos of men in the post-ACW period wearing bits of 79th NY kit.

That sporran is a mess. I can see a cantle at top, which would have been the only cantle on a sporran. Somehow this appears to have been tacked on top of perhaps two more cantles. I'd love to see it in person, but I'm fairly certain it's an aftermarket portmanteau job.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

In the photo he's an elderly man. His kit in the photo could well date from the 1880s through the 1890s.

I wonder if the kilt is an ex-79th New York kilt. I have seen photos of men in the post-ACW period wearing bits of 79th NY kit.

That sporran is a mess. I can see a cantle at top, which would have been the only cantle on a sporran. Somehow this appears to have been tacked on top of perhaps two more cantles. I'd love to see it in person, but I'm fairly certain it's an aftermarket portmanteau job.
    I knew you'd be the guy to provide some context.

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

The material is typical Wilsons' Fine Tartan woven with naturally dyed yarn. This type of material went out of fashion c1850 and appears to have been completely replaced by artificially dyed cloth by 1860 so a c1845 date is not unreasonable.