X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Antonio Highland Games

The San Antonio Highland games are almost upon us (April 6 - 7, 2019)!

Who's planning to attend?

Don't forget about the Tartan Day celebration in front of the Alamo chapel on the plaza on April 5th at 6:30 pm.

The forecast for Saturday is calling for rain, but none on Sunday. If you're attending, bring your Wellies!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be there hosting a Clan Scott tent for the first time (in years?)

John

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to fw_kilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plan is to be there on Saturday. Right now, the weather forecast is 60F in the morning, warming to 73F in the afternoon, with a general 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms.

Weather forecasters have been overly optimistic on rain this year, and more often than not their bullish chance of rain turns out to be nothing. But you never know with Texas weather! I figure if it starts raining, I'll just dive for cover at the Maxwell tent, assuming Shaun won't kick me out for my Johnston blood. I'm not going to tromp around in Wellies all day, but I might consider wearing spats or even boots with canvas military leggings if it really looks like there will be rain and mud.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    ... I'll just dive for cover at the Maxwell tent, assuming Shaun won't kick me out for my Johnston blood. I'm not going to tromp around in Wellies all day, but I might consider wearing spats or even boots with canvas military leggings if it really looks like there will be rain and mud.
    No worries about that Johnstone blood, Tobus. We'll just dilute it a bit with some Balvenie or Bellhaven, and all will be fine!

I found that my lug soles picked up so much mud at the recent Sherman festival that I abandoned them for my Wellies. Not an elegant solution, but effective, so don't be surprised to see me tromping about in mine.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

I'll have my Wellies And if you should run dry some Balvenie 14 and Aberlour 16 - all clans welcome

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to fw_kilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    No worries about that Johnstone blood, Tobus. We'll just dilute it a bit with some Balvenie or Bellhaven, and all will be fine!

I found that my lug soles picked up so much mud at the recent Sherman festival that I abandoned them for my Wellies. Not an elegant solution, but effective, so don't be surprised to see me tromping about in mine.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

SM
    Oh man, y'all did that to me a few years ago at the Kerrville games and got me so tipsy that I really shouldn't have driven home! I'll have to go easy on the whisky this time.

I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what to wear this year. It's going to be in the mid- to upper-80s through Friday. Saturday should be a bit cooler, but they've gotten more firm with their rain forecast. They're now saying it's a 90% chance of thunderstorms on Saturday morning. I don't own a proper set of Wellies; all I have are my old muck boots that are cracked and permanently smell of horse manure. Not quite the footwear one would choose to wear in public. I may have to set tradition aside and just wear my jump boots with WWII canvas leggings. Those are the only boots I have (besides cowboy boots) that have a non-lugged sole. And if it's going to be wet and windy, I likely won't be wearing any of my "nicer" clothes either.

I wonder if the weather forecast is going to affect attendance this year, or put a damper on the games, dancing competitions, piping competitions, etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I may have to set tradition aside and just wear my jump boots with WWII canvas leggings. Those are the only boots I have (besides cowboy boots) that have a non-lugged sole. And if it's going to be wet and windy, I likely won't be wearing any of my "nicer" clothes either.

I wonder if the weather forecast is going to affect attendance this year, or put a damper on the games, dancing competitions, piping competitions, etc.
    I'm sure that'd work fine, though you'll likely be in for a bit of cleanup on your jump boots. A quick stop by the Tractor Supply for some cheap Wellies might save you some work. That said, I've found the Helotes fairgrounds to be fairly rain tolerant as long as you stick to the established paths and avoid low-lying areas. The crew on hand has been pretty good in the past about having straw on hand to strew over the muddiest areas.

Given the temperature, I'll probably be wearing one of my typical Cabela's "safari" type shirts with a raincoat, kilt, Wellies and carrying an umbrella as needed. That was my standard attire the one time I attended the Grandfather Mountain games where it rained practically non-stop.

We'll see if the San Antonio-area are as hardy as the folks in Sherman when it comes to rain... The North Texas folks didn't seem to let a little rain deter them from coming out.

My tent will likely be down by the athletic area, down the hill, if they stick to what they've done the past few years.

I'm hopeful it won't be too wet, but I guess we'll find out!

See you Saturday.

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society