X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thoughts on mixing tweeds; is this too much?

https://ibb.co/mby4CTf

What do you think? Too busy? Too blue? Tweeds don't work?
    Seems I take after my Grandad; always a crisp white linen shirt under a sweater vest or matching waistcoat or just jacket and tie. I've never been a gingham shirt with kilts kinda guy.
    Thoughts and/or ideas?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t say that I am a fan of blue tweed, but apart from that we in Scotland have been mixing tweed patterns and hues, probably from the time tweed was invented. It’s not really done if one is wearing an estate tweed, unless one is the Laird, or if one is wearing a nice tweed suit for example, business attire. However for general everyday attire I would not fret about it, if I were you.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd April 19 at 01:14 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The advice generally given by the rabble is to keep tweeds the same, it may look too messy the way you have it in the pic. On the other hand, you're the wearer so you have poetic license.
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    What do you think? Too busy? Too blue? Tweeds don't work?
    There are some limitations to the advice we can give, because there are limitations to how "true" a photo on a monitor will look. (I can literally shift the color by sliding the photo from one monitor to the other one.) Though my experience with photography suggests that the lighting of the original photo was probably set correctly.

I also don't know what kilt you're planning to pair it with, which might change my advice.

Just based on the three items in the photo, they work together better than I expected (on either of my monitors). My wife (who is fairly astute when it comes to fashion) also approved of the color combination. She liked it enough that she offered an unsolicited opinion while walking by my computer. I'm personally a fan of that shade of blue (the jacket slightly more than the shirt), but that's because it works well for me.

I don't think it's too busy. As we were discussing in an earlier thread, the gingham is a very different size than the pattern a tartan (with the exception of Shepherd / border / Northumberland / Falkirk check), which makes it easier to match with a tartan. Moreover, as Rocky and Eric have mentioned in a few of their videos, the shirt will be separated from the kilt by the waistcoat. You're giving those patterns some space. It's got a bit going on, but I don't believe it crosses the line into "too much." In addition, the herringbone patterns on the tweeds match. The size match is close enough to make me think "same manufacturer, same process" (regardless of whether that's actually correct).

Within the caveats above (photo vs. real life ... I don't know what tartan you're pairing it with), I'll give it a thumb's up.

And just on an educated guess basis ... I'd be interested in seeing how this pairs with Tripleblessed's Clark/Clergy tartan kilt.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that combination looks great. A very nice casual outfit. It is color corrordinated enough to pull it all together without being "matchy matchy".

In the UK, this would fit in very well as they seem to go out of their way not to match.

There is always room for personal style. Too often kilt outfits all look "cookie cutter" the same.

It does not really matter what kilt is worn. We try to let the kilt stand on its own and be the centerpiece of an outfit. For example - if you go to a Scottish Wedding, everyone will be in similar jacket, shirt, tie, shoes and hose. Yet each will have his own kilt. And it works fine.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as far as what tartan I was thinking of pairing it with, It'll be Irvine ancient, Nova Scotia, or Grant ancient. Isle of Skye will be an option later this summer when my kiltmaker (SO) has some more free time and can finish it up.

That blue Argyle is the only blue tweed I have; my Nan gave it to me a ways back because she thought it matched my eyes. The ladies seem to like it so it's in regular rotation. Beside, when it's the last thing your Grandmother gives you before she passes on you wear it fondly. Grandad would have thought it somewhat foppish but would have given in once he saw the attention it gets from the lasses.

I wouldn't have thought to pair it up with a fairly bright gingham shirt if I hadn't been scanning some of the old threads here on X. Maybe a bigger gingham pattern would look good; I have the same color shirt with a 5/8" check. Have to recalibrate the eye a bit so the gingham makes sense.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the blue tweed jacket (I have a similar one). The vest waist coat is fine but the checked shirt doesn’t work for me. A true tattersall check would likely work.
    Slainte....
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks fine to me. The blues don't match so they don't just melt into each other and brown is a classic compliment to lighter blues.

You also only have the one pattern so there's not an overload (which I've learned to avoid from experience).

Everything seems to be working in harmony.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it works well.

I recently mixed tartans (out of necessity and against my better judgement - new kilt and no co-ordinating accessories) and found it worked surprisingly well, although to be fair they were the clan and hunting variants of the same tartan and both in ancient colours.

I am also looking to get a waistcoat/vest in this tweed to wear with a plain grey tweed jacket.

Last edited by Tomo; 2nd April 19 at 11:03 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast