X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    I have a waistcoat with pocket flaps as well and I really like the look compared to a more contemporary flapless pocket.
    I concur on that point. I have two vintage waistcoats with lower flap pockets (one with antler buttons on the flaps, one with plain buttonless flaps). I prefer that look as well, and it makes one wonder if they were intended to be worn sans jacket. Yes, it has been said that the traditionalist stance is that a waistcoat should have a jacket over it, but why would they put decorative flaps with buttons that are clearly nonfunctional if they were never meant to be seen?

The close-ups of that tweed really show off the coarseness of the wool fibers. Given its age, I'm betting this was made from the now extinct breed (Blackface?).

The colour is very nice indeed! You wear it well. I would never live it down if I wore such a colour, given my university affiliation. Anything resembling burnt orange is a no-no for me.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely stunning!
    "My beloved America, thank you for your children. If your children want to become soldiers I will train them. When they are hungry I will feed them. When they are thirsty I will give them water. When they fight for freedom I will lead them. When they are unsteady on the battlefield I will motivate them. If they die on the battlefield I will bury them. So help me God."

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CelticSire For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fantastic.

From the evolution-of-Highland-dress standpoint the coolest thing to me are the super big pocket flaps on the jacket.

I've seen that in Victorian photos from time to time.

It's sort of like when a fisherman pulls in his net and there's some fish that was supposed to have gone extinct millions of years ago, flopping around and quite non-extinct. Those pockets are a window into how the skirts/flaps/tashes of the traditional Scottish doublet might have evolved.

Jackets like these hint at a missing link between Argylls and Doublets

Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd April 19 at 05:43 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the coarse weave.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OC Richard I agree on the pocket flaps they do give a distinct look to the jacket that has gone by the wayside now. I am just glad to have it in my collection

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yes Steve the two jackets are brown, but a similar shade of brown? To my eye, I think not. Nothing wrong with either for sure, in fact I like your jacket, but..........
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 4th April 19 at 01:41 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well yes Steve the two jackets are brown, but a similar shade of brown? To my eye, I think not. Nothing wrong with either for sure, in fact I like your jacket, but..........
    I must say I agree completely. The jacket posted by Steve looks closer to my other brown Argyll than this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Crikey that cloth and hue takes me back to the 1940's! Fantastic! I am not sure that any of the jackets that I saw in those days could ever be described as new and could well have started life pre 1900. Sadly that wonderfully striking russet brown is rarely, if ever, seen these days.
    USA kilts offers a tweed in what looks like a similar russet brown (herringbone in this case). The swatch is darker but I think that may be due to lighting. If I understand the code properly, it's from Marten Mills.

MM-CHE112.jpg
    From usakilts.com
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 4th April 19 at 08:36 PM. Reason: resized picture
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    USA kilts offers a tweed in what looks like a similar russet brown (herringbone in this case). The swatch is darker but I think that may be due to lighting. If I understand the code properly, it's from Marten Mills.

MM-CHE112.jpg
    From usakilts.com
    That looks extremely dark to me. I'm of the mind that this particular tweed colour is simply not being produced any longer.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post

MM-CHE112.jpg
    From usakilts.com
    I am afraid that that sample is nowhere near the shade of brown that McMurdo and I are talking about.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 4th April 19 at 11:42 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast