X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Self tie Flashes

I have seen historical pictures and paintings of the flashes ends were left longer than you see today with the guarder style ; is this still excepted or in style today ?
    I have several of the self tie and the ends get a little long at times and i really like the way these ties look .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryK View Post
    I have seen historical pictures and paintings of the flashes ends were left longer than you see today with the guarder style ; is this still excepted or in style today ?
    I have several of the self tie and the ends get a little long at times and i really like the way these ties look .
    It would probably depend on the thickness of the calf and the manufacturer of your garter tie. I have the house of cheviot ties and usually don’t get a ton of tail sticking out. But I double them around so if you just go around once, that would also be a factor.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now have a pair of self tie flashes. I have to wrap them around my shrinking calf twice before I tie them (crossing and tucking the loose ends between my leg and the wrapped material) to get the length I like hanging below my folded hose top. I like under two inches of material showing. More material would swing and flap against my leg as I walk. That would annoy me so I don't go that route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Was thankful for the response

I have large calf's and have started going around only once and doing a tuck to take up the long ends to a respectable length .

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like them then wear them. Personally, I find them rather bulky and I suppose, depending on the size of one's calves and the length of the ties, they can end up with the dreaded "windsock effect"(to quote my father:"flapping about like a windsock on a redundant airfield") which is best avoided if one can.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have knit myself a couple of pairs of self-tie garters and I made them so they wrap around my calf twice. Then, with a little stretch and an overhand knot, only the fringe shows.

Shane

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day made!

Thank you, Jock, for that early-morning chuckle!

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    (to quote my father:"flapping about like a windsock on a redundant airfield")
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big fan of self-tie

Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    I have knit myself a couple of pairs of self-tie garters and I made them so they wrap around my calf twice. Then, with a little stretch and an overhand knot, only the fringe shows.

Shane
    This^
    I am fortunate enough to have a lovely wife who found patterns online and knit me a few pairs of garters. Since then, I've been exclusively self-tie. I do like them wrapped around twice, overhand, then tuck. When the sock is folded over, only the loose fringe shows as well (about 1"). It's how I like it as well.

She made me 4 pairs - red, navy, mustard, and moss/drab green. I've pretty much got everything covered with those colors; red is the most used.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear self-tie garters most of the time with my kilt socks. I like the look and find they work pretty well at keeping the hose up where they belong.

I will admit I allow a little more to show than just the fringe. Although I try to avoid the "wind-sock" effect, there is a bit of bouncing that takes place.

Mine go around twice and then I tie them and push them down through the loop.

Andrew