X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston Highland Games

Wow ! The Houston Highland Games are starting up after 5 years off the grid,

Really looking forward to going Saturday the 13th, in Sugar Land .

How many of you are going and help them get this Festival and Games Back where it
    belongs I AM Hope to See you all their .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll be there

I'm planning to attend. Depending on the weather, my wife and father-in-law will be attending with me. We'll probably be around during the late morning and early afternoon. My father-in-law might be kilted. I will be kilted.

Shaun Maxwell said he'll be at the Maxwell tent, so I'm planning to drop by there to visit with him. If the MacDonalds have a tent, we'll also drop by there. (That's my wife's and father-in-law's side.)
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clan Dunbar will be there. My brother is convener for Texas and I am Chieftain. Stop by and see my father's Lowlander sword. He was a founding member of the Clan (Dunbar was a lowland noble family) and it was a lifetime achievement award. Its based on one in a museum in Edinburgh.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been watching the weather forecasts for Saturday and it's not looking good:

I'm hoping the forecast will change (as the Texas weather is always a bit unpredictable!) before the event.

Last weekend, heavy storms were forecast for the Saturday of the San Antonio Highland games. While there was a bit of rain on Saturday, it ended up not being bad, and was even sunny in the afternoon. Big storms blew through early Sunday morning, bringing winds and heavy rain which destroyed 19 convener/vendor tents. But, by the time the festival opened, the rain had passed and the day was sunny.

So you never can tell... That said, I'm doubtful that I'll be convening if the forecast doesn't improve... I have no desire to have my tent destroyed! Regardless, I'm sure I'll put in an appearance.

Fingers crossed!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our tent is a 10x20 pole built with 4 sides. I understand that some tents will be in areas where stakes cannot be used due to sprinkler systems. I have great hold down spikes but if we can't use them I'm rigging 5 gallon buckets with sand. Major pain but better than the tent flying away and hurting someone.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    Our tent is a 10x20 pole built with 4 sides. I understand that some tents will be in areas where stakes cannot be used due to sprinkler systems. I have great hold down spikes but if we can't use them I'm rigging 5 gallon buckets with sand. Major pain but better than the tent flying away and hurting someone.
    If my tent were that heavy, I MIGHT risk it, but my 10'x10' EZ-Up would likely not fare as well. I typically use dog stakes and motorcycle tie downs to hold my tent to the ground. I have 8 large cans filled with concrete with eye bolts in them for instances when I can't tie down (probably about 15 lbs each). It's going to be pretty darn windy, and when you add in the sail effect of sidewalls, it sounds problematic. Barring a change in the weather, I'm thinking it's not worth risking my tent, as I have another event coming up next month.

I've not been to the park, and am wondering if there are any permanent structures there. Anyone know?

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I've not been to the park, and am wondering if there are any permanent structures there. Anyone know?
    As far as I can tell, probably few to none.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston Highland Games to be rescheduled due to weather

Just got an email from Donna Graves, the Clan/Society Chair of the HHGA saying that "the city of Sugar Land has determined that due to the possibility of severe weather this weekend our Highland Games has to be rescheduled."

I've got to say I'm a little relieved to hear it.

The date has yet to be determined.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the quick update

Thanks for letting us know, Shaun. That helps tremendously for planning my weekend.

The downside is that it may end up on a much hotter weekend.