X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Highland attire is quite easy to find compared to Bavarian tracht!

I have lucked out on my hat and jacket at second hand stores (Less than $30 for both of them together). The bundhosen came from Amazon. I also agree that there aren't a lot of opportunities to wear it (at least till September )

Cheers

Jamie
    I was gifted a very nice handmade Tyrolean hat from Austria by my father in law. Right now, all I'm missing is the jacket. My green tweed Argyll looks oddly appropriate with it, though I still want to find an actual Trachtenjacke.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I often wear my kilt on Sundays and it gets remarked upon if I'm not wearing it. I was asked about it on St. Patrick's day this year and I simply pointed out that I hear "top o' the morning to ya" enough already.
    I get this, too. Last week a co-worker told me that I should have worn my kilt for St. Patrick's Day. I know that St Patrick is believed to have been from Scotland, but that's not the point.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to huntgathergrow For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntgathergrow View Post
    I get this, too. Last week a co-worker told me that I should have worn my kilt for St. Patrick's Day. I know that St Patrick is believed to have been from Scotland, but that's not the point.
    I also skip it on Halloween and at funerals. I actually was suited at a funeral for a parishioner a couple years back and someone asked where my kilt was. I was a little incredulous because I hadn’t wanted to be a distraction, especially to the family of the deceased who were not parishioners and didn’t know me.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's reasonable and respectful. Well done.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also skip it on Halloween and at funerals. I actually was suited at a funeral for a parishioner a couple years back and someone asked where my kilt was. I was a little incredulous because I hadn’t wanted to be a distraction, especially to the family of the deceased who were not parishioners and didn’t know me.
    I agree with Halloween as well. I did almost wear the kilt to a friend's funeral, though. His last name was Scott and was very much like an uncle to me, though we were not directly related. I hadn't had the chance to talk with him since I'd started wearing kilts, so I didn't know if it would have been appreciated. There was a piper though, which seemed appropriate. He was a huge influence on me growing up, especially helping to cultivate my interest in history, genealogy, ancestral pride, etc. I think he would have approved in general, but he was buried on hill and it was very cold and blowy that day, so I could see his practicality shine though and advise against it.

However, I appreciate your assessment of the situation. I've seen similar stories on XMTS and I appreciate the sage wisdom and thoughtfulness.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a good rule of thumb for such events is that one should dress in a respectful manner that the hosts would expect of you.

I also think that if you wear the kilt as part of a costume or for holiday, as a national dress, there should be some respect in how it is worn as well. (I wear a solid green kilt on St. Patrick's Day because it is green, not Irish)

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they tell me I’m 25% Scottish, Irish and 75% English, Welsh, and Northwestern Europe...good enough for me being my name is Scottish. Most people’s are Mutts of one kind or another.
    Last edited by Me cousin Jack; 10th April 19 at 12:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been pondering on the question of wearing a kilt to a funeral, and whether appropriate or not.

I have worn a kilt to a funeral recently, that of my sister-in-laws father, who was NZ born but with Scots ancestry. I thought it appropriate to wear a kilt to respect that shared link. Glad I did as there were three young pipers all in kilts and it added to the sense of celebration of those links.

More recently I went to an evening vigil the night before the funeral of the father of one of my sister’s very close colleagues. She was delighted to see me wearing a kilt and very much took it as a mark of respect which was intended. As I couldn’t make the funeral the following day I was hopeful some of my brothers who were attending would wear their kilts. Alas not and I think an opportunity missed.

I understand is a matter where everyone is looking to do what they see as respectful. Down here in New Zealand so far from Scotland my sense is wearing kilts to a funeral of someone with that shared ancestry is viewed as a positive acknowledgement and is warmly welcomed.

My kind regards to all who have had recent bereavements to attend.
    He aha te mea nui o te ao?
    What is the most important thing in the world?
    He tangata, he tangata, he tangata
    It is the people, it is the people, it is the people

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DaveScott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All depends on the family and their point of view, doesn't it now.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the alternatives....

Quote Originally Posted by DaveScott View Post
    I’ve been pondering on the question of wearing a kilt to a funeral, and whether appropriate or not.
    Now that I think about it, wearing a kilt plus Argyll jacket is probably more appropriate than any of the other alternatives that I currently have available. (Of course, one of my kilts is exceedingly somber in color, which does make a difference.)

When I went through the closet recently, it became apparent that I've "outgrown" all of my suit pants. Of my sports coats, two are fairly light shades (houndstooth & herringbone). The navy sports coat lacks an appropriate color pair of slacks to match it with.

Furthermore, based on my experience, families aren't that concerned about what the attendees are wearing. At the last two memorial services that I attended, I did not know the family members. My general impression in both cases was they were primarily happy that the memorial services were well attended (significantly beyond their expectations).

It's people's presence, not their attire, that seems to matter to the families. Even when, in one case, a couple dozen of the attendees were wearing their motorcycle jackets ... because the deceased was a buddy they rode with.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast