X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveScott View Post
    I’ve been pondering on the question of wearing a kilt to a funeral, and whether appropriate or not.

I have worn a kilt to a funeral recently, that of my sister-in-laws father, who was NZ born but with Scots ancestry. I thought it appropriate to wear a kilt to respect that shared link. Glad I did as there were three young pipers all in kilts and it added to the sense of celebration of those links.

More recently I went to an evening vigil the night before the funeral of the father of one of my sister’s very close colleagues. She was delighted to see me wearing a kilt and very much took it as a mark of respect which was intended. As I couldn’t make the funeral the following day I was hopeful some of my brothers who were attending would wear their kilts. Alas not and I think an opportunity missed.

I understand is a matter where everyone is looking to do what they see as respectful. Down here in New Zealand so far from Scotland my sense is wearing kilts to a funeral of someone with that shared ancestry is viewed as a positive acknowledgement and is warmly welcomed.

My kind regards to all who have had recent bereavements to attend.
    I think context is important. The woman whose funeral I attended in my previous post was an 8 o'clocker (we go to the 10am service) and, unfortunately, I didn't know her as well as I'd have liked. Also, I wear my kilt on Sunday, not to every church event so she likely never saw me kilted, except maybe on Easter.

On the other hand, there is a retired bishop and his wife who share a pew with us and he loves my kilt and takes every opportunity to comment on it. If he were pass away, hopefully many, many years from now, I expect he and his wife wouldn't mind me wearing it to the service. Not to say I would, it's just that the circumstances are slightly different as I know them better.

Of course, I think it's also important to not get so wrapped up in kilt wearing that it would pain you not to wear it. I'm just as content to wear a suit to funerals and it's nice to know that it is always appropriate. Gray suit, black necktie, black shoes, white shirt. Easy and correct.

Panache, I'm sorry if I derailed your original thread! I was mostly pointing out that I don't wear the kilt on St Patrick's because of the erroneous connection people make!
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 10th April 19 at 04:49 PM.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always need to be cautious when we say that "they seemed pleased" or "they didn't say anything about it." As the priest I sometimes hear a couple of months later about things that offend people.

That doesn't mean always, it just means that they won't say anything at the time - they'll tell me later.

Just for... awareness.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post

Panache, I'm sorry if I derailed your original thread! I was mostly pointing out that I don't wear the kilt on St Patrick's because of the erroneous connection people make!

That's perfectly fine.

I was sharing an amusing, yet true, story.

That it turned into a gentle reminder of the importance of showing respect to others at important moments of their lives is certainly a productive and worthwhile one.

As the person who was one of the people behind setting up this particular subform, I can say that I think Craig would have been delighted to see laughter turned into a positive sharing and learning.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    That's perfectly fine.

I was sharing an amusing, yet true, story.

That it turned into a gentle reminder of the importance of showing respect to others at important moments of their lives is certainly a productive and worthwhile one.

As the person who was one of the people behind setting up this particular subform, I can say that I think Craig would have been delighted to see laughter turned into a positive sharing and learning.

Cheers

Jamie
    Well back to your original post. It got me thinking of a thread a while back where a fella wanted to wear a flat cap and irish clan badge with his kilt to honor his irish as well as scottish heritage. I mentioned that one probably wouldn't wear an alpen hat with a kilt.

I had actually thought of taking a photo with a my kilt, a gingham shirt, the elastic edelweiss suspenders with clips they always sell at Oktoberfest, and my alpen hat! Just for fun to show how bad the look would be. I decided not to because I was afraid of killing poor Jock ;)

That's a nice outfit in your OP btw. I say that as a member of the German American Society of San Diego! I can't believe you found the jacket at a thrift store.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123