X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Steps in Kilt Wearing

OK, guys and gals,

I have, for quite some time, been doing our family history. My wife and I took a DNA test and I've discovered that my genetics is primarily from England, Wales, and Scotland along with a small percentage of Germanic Europe and Norway. I have long wanted to find my Scottish connection so I could legitimately wear a kilt ... I don't join clubs to which I should not belong.

After a couple of years of searching, I have established a clean, well documented line from my Mother's maiden name of Starling to Seth Stirling (married to Comfort Collee) in Scotland (think Stirling castle, etc.).

I have entered the world of kilt wearing with a Damn Near Kilt 'Em greenhorn kilt. I ordered a black one. My wife thought it would work well with other colors. Once I (and those around me) get used to the idea that I wear a kilt, I'd like to get a kilt in the Stirling family tartan. At a minimum, I'd like one in the North Carolina tartan.

My questions are myriad. Can I wear a DNKE kilt to a kilt specific event (pub events, for example)? Is it OK to wear a flat cap (Harris Tweed) with a kilt when a hat is appropriate? Where can I get a decent sporran inexpensively? Is it OK to wear a bow tie with matching stocking flashes?

So many more questions to come. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringtyer View Post
    Can I wear a DNKE kilt to a kilt specific event (pub events, for example)?
    It should be fine at any casual event. Personally, I think of a utility kilt as being approximately at the same level as cargo pants, though I'm sure opinions vary on that.

Is it OK to wear a flat cap (Harris Tweed) with a kilt when a hat is appropriate?
    Yes. Flat caps give a little bit more of an Irish look, but the overall shape works well with a kilt outfit. I bought a linen flat cap, which is a little less traditional, but far better suited to this hot and humid climate.

For a more traditionally Scottish look, you could go with a Balmoral or a Glengarry.

Where can I get a decent sporran inexpensively?
    You could start with this thread.

Is it OK to wear a bow tie with matching stocking flashes?
    That should work under most circumstances. If I wear a tie, I'll usually coordinate it with the kilt hose or the garter ties (or flashes). I'll make my choice based on what I'm doing with the rest of the outfit.

It's not the only valid choice, but it is one possible valid choice.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great questions - when I got my first kilt I only had it and one pair of long socks.

My thinking is to get underway with what you feel comfortable in without getting overly complicated and get used to wearing a kilt out and about. Then add as you go - you will find a style that works for you.

When you do get a chance to buy a tartan kilt, the day of arrival will be something to greatly enjoy. I still remember unwrapping the parcel of that first kilt.

Best wishes to you on your kilted journey.
    He aha te mea nui o te ao?
    What is the most important thing in the world?
    He tangata, he tangata, he tangata
    It is the people, it is the people, it is the people

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DaveScott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have long wanted to find my Scottish connection so I could legitimately wear a kilt ... I don't join clubs to which I should not belong.
    Ya don't need to be Scottish to wear a kilt; wear it, own it, yer legit!

I think that, after a lot of my own research, you can pretty much wear whatever tartan you like - at the very least, know the name of the tartan and a bit of its history.

With that said, as for me, I'm sticking with universal/fashion tartans since my DNA results showed (much like yours) English, Welsh, Irish and a mere dab of Scottish (no surprise since my dad was born in London - mostly Welsh and English, accordingly).

Over time, I plan on picking up some Welsh tartans and one day I'll have a kilt in my own, Parry, tartan (registered way, way.........way back in 2002-ish; hey, that's like seven iPhone generations ago!).

Oh, and I either wear a flat cap because that's what I've worn for the last 25 years or, when it's hot and sunny out, a nice wide brimmed hat; gotta be practical, you know.
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobinn For This Useful Post: