X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdbh View Post
    I think you should wear a knitted tie.
    I debated wearing a tie but none of them ended up looking quite right. I agree that a knitted tie would have been great but I don't own one yet.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    Richard, I wonder if Disneyland should have gone that route on the last Tomorrowland revamp?
    Strange that you should say that, because Disneyland, back in the early 1970s, was planning an entire new Land, called Discovery Bay, which today we would consider Steampunk.

Like Steampunk, Discovery Bay was largely inspired by the writings of Jules Verne.

Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd July 19 at 05:17 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Strange that you should say that, because Disneyland, back in the early 1970s, was planning an entire new Land, called Discovery Bay, which today we would consider Steampunk.

Like Steampunk, Discovery Bay was largely inspired by the writings of Jules Verne.

Richard.........off topic, but a good time to ask you. Was the planned location for Discovery Bay, where the current Stars Wars area is? Also, is the top image of the framed print you told me about at Pleasanton, last year? The one you purchased at the Company Store.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes in the Disney Gallery (above Pirates of the Caribbean) they had a fantastic show The Disneyland That Never Was.

In it was the original painting by Tony Baxter of Discovery Bay, which as you see was painted in 1974.

They had nice big prints for sale, limited edition, signed and dated by Tony. With my employee discount the print was only around $100.

Had Discovery Bay been built there would have been a natural gathering-place for our nascent Steampunk gatherings (which, like our Dapper Days, are unofficial grassroots events).

About the location of Discovery Bay, it was slated to be built in the area where they eventually built Thunder Mountain Railroad. (Disney decided they needed another roller coaster.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd July 19 at 07:12 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes in the Disney Gallery (above Pirates of the Caribbean) they had a fantastic show The Disneyland That Never Was.

In it was the original painting by Tony Baxter of Discovery Bay, which as you see was painted in 1974.

They had nice big prints for sale, limited edition, signed and dated by Tony. With my employee discount the print was only around $100.

Had Discovery Bay been built there would have been a natural gathering-place for our nascent Steampunk gatherings (which, like our Dapper Days, are unofficial grassroots events).

About the location of Discovery Bay, it was slated to be built in the area where they eventually built Thunder Mountain Railroad. (Disney decided they needed another roller coaster.)
    Richard,

TA!
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you come up with the steampunk costume yet?

I'm seeing long sleeve shirt, maybe matching hose. The leather work i'm leaning brown with brass fittings, maybe a vest with a cravat.

Or...
    https://youtu.be/TFCuE5rHbPA

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to matchlock For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO Steampunk kilts would be under "Historical kiltwear" rather than "Contemporary".

We know exactly what Victorian kiltwear was like, thanks to MacLeay.

But though Steampunk mens' outfits rely on Victorian clothing styles in general (frock coats, top hats, etc) for some reason when it comes to kilts the Victorian genre is thrown out the window and they rely mainly on 20th century Highland dress, using 20th century sporrans and even Utilikilts.

As far as metalwork is concerned, note that Victorian outdoor dress is generally free of it. Note that there's no metalwork on the sporrans, and not even a badge on the Glengarry.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd August 19 at 03:45 AM.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlock View Post
    Did you come up with the steampunk costume yet?

I'm seeing long sleeve shirt, maybe matching hose. The leather work i'm leaning brown with brass fittings, maybe a vest with a cravat.

Or...
    https://youtu.be/TFCuE5rHbPA
    Yes, this event was in June of 2019. It worked out less "steampunk" than I would have liked but very well overall. The kilt pin my wife made out of a clock hand an a Swarovski crystal has become my permanent pin. The "gears" cap badge she made gets swapped with the clan crest badge depending on the event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steampunk Is Always Fun

Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    I'm photographing an Steampunk-themed event in June of this year. I would like to get in on the fun by putting together a Steampunk-style costume. My immediate thought was a set of spongebag trousers would be ideal but those are hard to find. So I was wondering if I could put together a reasonable Steampunk costume whilst still remaining respectful of the kilt and the heritage it represents.

My idea was to wear black Oxfords, probably some brighter hose (Mustard or Denim), darker flashes, my kilt, a plain black day sporran (perhaps with an aged-finish decorative gear-gadget affixed to the flap or front with removable, leather-safe adhesive, a charcoal waistcoat, pocket watch with gear fob, and gingham shirt. I might or might not wear a tie (if I do, I'd probably complement or match the flashes). I also have a steampunk-looking double-glass loupe that clips on to my eyeglass frames (that I actually use in my mundane life for soldering and component assembly).

Thoughts? Mine are that it should be no less respectful than any other fantasy costume but I could be totally off-base here.
    I have worn may a kilt with Steampunk. There is a local store that the shop owner designs Steampunk spectacles etc. He designed some "goggles" for me to wear as a headpiece. I change up the other stuff. I usually wear late Victorian boots with the kilt. I found a few on eBay and the local swap meets over the years. Outside of my kilts, I am only in the total investment around $300USD. The goggles were the largest part of that expense. I didn't feel I offended anyone for how I wore my kilt. I wear them for fun "dress up," when I am not in the mood for pants, hiking(so much better than shorts) and pretty much any time I feel like it. The vast majority of the time I am not dressed in formal or even semi-formal.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Richard we know what Victorian kilt wear was like.
    But historical re-creation is not the point of Steampunk.

The concept is - What if Steam was still the predominate power source and the manufacturing and design were still rooted in the trappings of the early industrial revolution.

Its fun and fanciful. The dream and myth of the promise of the gilded age without the reality of child labor and economic depression and super-rich vs super poor.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast