X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Hose colors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose colors

I recently purchased an 8 yard Black Stewart kilt(since my historian wife traced me back to Stewart Clan).
    I have black hose that I wear with my other kilt, a Black Watch. Are there other colors other than the black that would go with the Stewart tartan, are am I making too much of this? I think the white hose are not for me.
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're probably worrying too much. White would be pretty stark, so I agree with that "un-choice" but just about any colour would be bright and attractive. We're not much into matching colours with tartan so just "tone it in".
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off the top of my head

Claret, Mustard, Navy, Lovat Blue, Lovat Green, Bottle Green, Charcoal Grey would all work.

5. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    .... White would be pretty stark [with a dark tartan], so I agree with that "un-choice" ...
    I thought I saw another thread where white or off white was considered undesirable in all cases except for band uniforms. Did I read that right? If so, why would that be? I have a white pair that looks just fine with Royal Stewart, to my eye at least.
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilverland View Post
    I thought I saw another thread where white or off white was considered undesirable in all cases except for band uniforms. Did I read that right? If so, why would that be? I have a white pair that looks just fine with Royal Stewart, to my eye at least.
    If you want to wear white hose then wear them. However many, including me, consider that there are better colour choices to be had. Also many, including me, consider that white hose are very much a kilt hire company issue and is not a look that many wish to go for.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilverland View Post
    It's not "illegal" or anything, but it's not the usual among veteran kilties. Bands wear them because they match almost anything. Hire shops have the same reason, besides which, they can bleach the darned things and clean them up when they come back from hire. Add to that the fact that they rather glare in the light, and I wouldn't consider them overly desirable.

It's a matter of watching over time and realizing what is more likely than not to be done by those who best know their "stuff." The idea might best be to draw attention to the tartan, not the glaring white of the hose.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Stewart has red, yellow, and red in it. Shades of those colors would probably look nice with it.

Muted shades like claret, mustard, and lovat blue would probably work. I’m also a fan of gray and a color house of cheviot sells as “derby” which is a gray with very subtle blue and brown flecks in it.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post: