X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Hampshire Tartan

New Hampshire is one of several states that have an official tartan, as described here and here.

I've attached a picture of an alternate New Hampshire tartan that I designed.

The emphasis is on symbolism, rather than functional attire. Nevertheless, I'd like to know what people think of my design. Is it something that most people would consider an appropriate design to wear?

The colors gray and white represent the nicknames Granite State and White Mountain State. Purple represents the state flower and bird, the lilac and purple finch. Green represents forests, while white represents the state tree, the white birch. Yellow and orange represent fall foliage.

To me it looks more attractive than the official New Hampshire tartan. However, when I was studying web design, I learned that my color preferences were way out of wack with other people's preferences. I found it almost impossible to choose colors for web pages that other people liked. I'm not color blind; I apparently just have a different set of aesthetics. ;)

As I mentioned in the thread where I introduced myself, I'm designing tartans for all fifty states as part of a book about state symbols I'm working on. I'd like to try and get some of my designs incorporated into jackets, scarves, blankets, etc. If my designs are judged too garish or amateurish, then I'll probably scrap that idea.

Thanks for any feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here is a photo of the Lincoln, NH police at the New Hampshire Highland Games.
    Their kilts in the New Hampshire tartan are also part of their full dress uniform when worn.

Can't say I like yours any better, but it is a nice design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NHPD1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	479.7 KB 
ID:	36736
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to put up the two tartans side by side for those that didn't see the photos. First is the official link listed and the second is the OP's design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one with a stillborn book in the filing cabinet, I have a question. "What is you target market?"
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The New Hampshire Tartan on the right.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    As one with a stillborn book in the filing cabinet, I have a question. "What is you target market?"
    My book began as a reference book, with libraries my primary target. However, it's also a critique of state symbols. I'm also going to publish a second book designed for a younger audience - approximately middle school age.

So when I design tartans, my goal is to create designs that represent particular states, focusing largely on that state's symbols, history and geography.

I guess you could say my target audience is the type of people who like "Americana."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    The New Hampshire Tartan on the right.

Wow, that photo makes a big difference. Now I suddenly like the official New Hampshire tartan. ;)

In the photo I linked to, the purple merges with the green into one big blob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Bear View Post
    ...............So when I design tartans, my goal is to create designs that represent particular states, focusing largely on that state's symbols, history and geography.

................I guess you could say my target audience is the type of people who like "Americana."
    These days, the first could be like playing with fire. As for the latter, interesting combination......Tartan & Americana.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    These days, the first could be like playing with fire.
    Yes, it's a tough road to hoe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As well as the officially sanctioned state tartans are, you aware of the state seal tartans created by the folks at USA Kilts,which would make yours the 3rd set of state tartans.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast