X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arizona Tartan: Expense of custom colors

I've been using the tartan generator @ www.tartansauthority.com (link) to design tartans. I assume the colors in its palette are standard tartan colors.

I was just curious to know how much more expensive a tartan would be if it included one custom color. For example, the tartan I designed for Arizona features a color matching the copper-colored star on the state flag.

I assume custom colors make little or no difference when working with printed colors (on T-shirts, for example), but are a bigger factor on woven materials.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, I thought I uploaded the image.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Bear View Post
    I've been using the tartan generator @ www.tartansauthority.com (link) to design tartans. I assume the colors in its palette are standard tartan colors.

I was just curious to know how much more expensive a tartan would be if it included one custom color. For example, the tartan I designed for Arizona features a color matching the copper-colored star on the state flag.

I assume custom colors make little or no difference when working with printed colors (on T-shirts, for example), but are a bigger factor on woven materials.
    Custom dyeing will always put up the price of a run of material.

More to the point, there is already an Arizona tartan so you would not be allowed to register another one under the same name.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can "cut and paste" your photos and add them to my posts. The "thumbnail" icon on the thread title will be another way for members to see the image you want to present. Showing the image gives more input (in my opinion) to those of us that prefer to see rather than visualize a concept.

Your Arizona tartan design

Cheers Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I can "cut and paste" your photos and add them to my posts. The "thumbnail" icon on the thread title will be another way for members to see the image you want to present. Showing the image gives more input (in my opinion) to those of us that prefer to see rather than visualize a concept.

Your Arizona tartan design

Cheers Bobby
    Okay, I say it, that Tartan puts a hurtin’ on my eyes.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original Arizona Tartan

Commissioned by a joint committee of Arizona State's Scottish societies, this tartan was designed by Dr Phil Smith and proclaimed by Governor Symington in December 1995. Colours: green is for the forest that covers half the state; brown for the desert; azure for copper, white for silver; yellow for gold; red for the Native Americans and the red, white and green stripes for the Mexican population.

So while a new design may be a pleasant pastime playing with color I see little chance of another design superseding what has been proclaimed as the 'official' State Tartan.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 30th April 19 at 04:56 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I assume custom colors make little or no difference when working with printed colors"

May I suggest you visit a silk screen printer with a pantone number and ask if a custom color of ink will change the cost of printing. I think you may be surprised.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    The original Arizona Tartan

Commissioned by a joint committee of Arizona State's Scottish societies, this tartan was designed by Dr Phil Smith and proclaimed by Governor Symington in December 1995. Colours: green is for the forest that covers half the state; brown for the desert; azure for copper, white for silver; yellow for gold; red for the Native Americans and the red, white and green stripes for the Mexican population.
    Actually, that design looks nicer than I thought. Quality pictures make a big difference.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Arizona tartan is BEAUTIFUL in a hand sewn kilt.

Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. The official one really works beautifully with the landscape, and I'd say it's a great tartan.

TartanBear's AZ tartan looks more like a New Mexico license plate than the color palette I would usually associate with AZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast