X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie from Nova Scotia

Hello, been on site for a few months but just getting this intro stuff done. Was searching for information on the wearing of kilts and it led me here. Talk about information in spades, it has been a great resource.
    I am new to kilts, always wanted one, but family was originally from Orkney Islands with no clan affiliation. Another Yorston in Australia recently designed one and had it registered, so have finally realized that dream albeit in my “getting up there” years.
    Bio stuff was born and raised in Nova Scotia, but have lived all over Canada, North, West and East, and back to NS. I luckily married an adventurous Irish woman, so have travelled a lot with her as well.
    Working on making a sporran (hopefully ambition does not exceed my skills), and putting together my other pieces of kit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Originally from Truro and have lived in Guysborough, Antigonish and Musquodoboit Harbour.

Best of luck with the sporran!

Shane
    Last edited by gsmacleod; 21st April 19 at 07:07 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met and welcome my Northern friend. Many of us have made (many better than my own attempts) our sporrans. I'd love to see your trials and successes. It is never too late to explore this uncommon form of clothing and well worth the discovery. Glad to have you with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to XMTS from the left coast!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Calgary!
    If you are considering a tartan for a kilt Canada’s official Tatarstan is the Maple Leaf and it a great looking tartan.
    Slainte!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the welcome.
    Liam,
    I do like the Canada tartan, but had my kilt made with the Yorston tartan, thanks to another Yorston descendant from Australia, there is now a registered Yorston tartan. Our family name is from the Orkney Islands and as such not clan affiliated, but still Scotland proud. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82C347DF-ED43-4F1C-8AA5-673223104E42.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	284.1 KB 
ID:	36745

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Seagrove59 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking tartan. It must be a source of pride to wear a kilt with the family link.
    He aha te mea nui o te ao?
    What is the most important thing in the world?
    He tangata, he tangata, he tangata
    It is the people, it is the people, it is the people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagrove59 View Post
    Hello, been on site for a few months but just getting this intro stuff done. Was searching for information on the wearing of kilts and it led me here. Talk about information in spades, it has been a great resource.
    I am new to kilts, always wanted one, but family was originally from Orkney Islands with no clan affiliation. Another Yorston in Australia recently designed one and had it registered, so have finally realized that dream albeit in my “getting up there” years.
    Bio stuff was born and raised in Nova Scotia, but have lived all over Canada, North, West and East, and back to NS. I luckily married an adventurous Irish woman, so have travelled a lot with her as well.
    Working on making a sporran (hopefully ambition does not exceed my skills), and putting together my other pieces of kit.
    Welcome to the forum. I've been to the Orkney's once, just the big island Mainland. Lots of great and ancient things to see. If you haven't had the chance or opportunity, I recommend the trip. Also, nice tartan.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast