X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I'll have to shave the lip off the bottom and find a way for one of the studs to cover up the notch as best I can, but I think this brass piece will be the center boss.
    You might consider using a file or drill bit to add 2-3 more notches of the same size equidistant around the perimeter and use them as your stud guides to attach the erstwhile lid.

As far as cleaning/polishing, I used Brasso, an old toothbrush and persistence to clean up what I presume are some old US Army tunic buttons that I found in my ggf's barn - probably WWI era, though he never served - when we were cleaning it out. I had to use a penknife to get the dirt out of some of the tiny grooves on the front of the buttons.
    John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can tell, looking at photos of surving targes, the bosses are constructed from thin sheet metal, not cast. Cast leads to more weight, which is never a good thing for a something a soldier is carrying.

Here are a few photos of a targe that recently was at auction. I unfortunately did not get to examine it. Im not convinced its actually a folding targe, and not just a broken targe.

oconnertarge.JPG

oconnertargeback.JPG

oconnertargedetail.JPG

oconnertargedescription.JPG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The information simply raises the question of why you would want or need a folding targe. If you carry it folded it will weigh just as much as opened. You certainly cannot use it folded. Perhaps the wood is simply split?

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacRob46 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't the position of some of the bosses and the nails attaching them near the joint prevent the targe from folding?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given where the split is and that two bosses are right there on it, I think the wood has somehow broken and the targe was not originally made to "fold."
    Last edited by MacRob46; 11th May 19 at 08:20 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guthrumironhead View Post
    Wouldn't the position of some of the bosses and the nails attaching them near the joint prevent the targe from folding?
    Yes. It should be obvious to anyone that the targe in those photos is simply broken, and not designed to fold in half. I cannot think of a more silly idea for a battle shield than making it foldable. Especially where this one breaks, right in the middle.

Indeed, the studs and boss on the front negate the folding theory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just shows you cannot rely on auction house descriptions. "Rare Folding Targe" indeed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative use for those drawer pulls

Those look cool. How about consider them to secure shoulder plaids? I have a whole bunch of odd metallic things in my wheeled hobby box. Some have gone on Targes, others used for costuming, or to decorate chests. Keep them, you may find a more creative use somewhere down the road. . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A "Folding Targe" is only for use as a unique table at the pavilion. But make sure it has an attachment for extendable legs and a leash (to something very heavy), so it doesn't walk away!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I don't drink colas, typically, so all I had on hand was ginger ale. I tried soaking them in a bowl with that, but it didn't seem to do much. I don't know if it has to be a dark cola; I was under the impression that any carbonated soda would work. Ginger ale has citric acid in it, but alas, it actually seemed to make them darker.
    Try ketchup. It's what I use for everything from removing tarnish on silver jewelry, to removing corrosion or rust on something metal, to getting the gunk out of a wok that needs re-seasoning (when elbow grease and a steel scrubber don't do the trick). People laugh at me when I suggest it, but it works (and, smells better than vinegar, clings better to your object than vinegar or lemon juice or a liquid acid solution, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by MacRob46 View Post
    The information simply raises the question of why you would want or need a folding targe. If you carry it folded it will weigh just as much as opened. You certainly cannot use it folded. Perhaps the wood is simply split?
    Takes up less space... same reason anything folds. Might make a difference in a rucksack or cart, or if you've already got a bunch of kit banging around on your body/horse. I hate carrying large amounts of things with a passion (comes of having done it too much with various things; I'm simply sick of schlepping around crap) and anything I had to carry that could be made smaller, even if it would weigh the same, would be less of a burden and I'd be ecstatic (my rule is always, "It can be big, or it can be heavy, and that's fine. If it's both, I'm less okay with hauling it").

Moot point as A. we've already determined it's just broken and B. we've also determined it would likely render the shield useless (especially if it would fold *toward* the carrier like that), but still-- yes, there *are* reasons for things to fold smaller.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast