X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decoratively tying a sgian dugh into sheath for Faires?

Many Faires and events mandate 'peace tying' or simply lashing or zip tying weapons into their scabbards so they are purely for show and cannot be drawn. My favorite faire has this policy, and my wanting to wear a decent sgian dubh means it has to get tied up. What about finding a Celtic looking or subtle way to do so, without it looking like a mail bundle?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you tie the hilt to your leg under your kilt hose?
    Trying to look good on a budget.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply skip the Sgain altogether. There is really no function to a Sgain other than the 'look'. Most aren't even sharp or capable of holding an edge. In this case you can't pull or use it anyway so its not a useful tool, just decoration.

When out and around town I do not normally have a Sgain. If I am dressing up, or attending a Scottish themed event, I may put one in my sock for decoration. And my normal decoration is not a Sgain Dubh with a blade, but a Sgain Shoe.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 15th May 19 at 04:32 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Many Faires and events mandate 'peace tying' or simply lashing or zip tying weapons into their scabbards so they are purely for show and cannot be drawn. My favorite faire has this policy, and my wanting to wear a decent sgian dubh means it has to get tied up. What about finding a Celtic looking or subtle way to do so, without it looking like a mail bundle?
    I have seen sgian dubhs that have no blade at all. The hilt is simply connected to a molded sheath. It *looks* like a sgian dubh, but it really isn't. Would that be acceptable?

(I think USA Kilts sells these, but I am guessing other folks do also...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Simply skip the Sgain altogether. There is really no function to a Sgain other than the 'look'. Most aren't even sharp or capable of holding an edge. In this case you can't pull or use it anyway so its not a useful tool, just decoration.

When out and around town I do not normally have a Sgain. If I am dressing up, or attending a Scottish themed event, I may put one in my sock for decoration. And my normal decoration is not a Sgain Dubh with a blade, but a Sgain Shoe.

Steve, where did you get your Sgain Shoe?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, sorry, I should have said. - I made it.

I have the plastic "Sgain Don't" in my rental fleet. (No blade, just a piece of plastic for those kids who want to rent a kilt for prom on school grounds) So I just cut the end off, used a Dremel tool to carve out some into the handle and epoxied a standard shoe horn into the cavity.

I added a small piece of aluminum tape like that use by HVAC guys to add a bit of shiney bling to the handle.

Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 15th May 19 at 05:48 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another alternative if you have a cheap sgian you don't care about is to place it in its sheath and drilling through the entire works with an appropriate sized drill bit and fastening them together with a Chicago screw.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuathanach View Post
    I have seen sgian dubhs that have no blade at all. The hilt is simply connected to a molded sheath. It *looks* like a sgian dubh, but it really isn't...
    I had a friend in the S.C.A. in the '80s who started making those, from dagger up to great sword, when he was at a university that didn't allow the possession of any blades over three inches.

He said it was funny watching security trying to draw them. They would eventually believe him and give up.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Nyckname For This Useful Post:

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyckname View Post
    I had a friend in the S.C.A. in the '80s who started making those, from dagger up to great sword, when he was at a university that didn't allow the possession of any blades over three inches.

He said it was funny watching security trying to draw them. They would eventually believe him and give up.
    Having spent 30 plus years in the SCA and 20 plus in Rev War reenacting, I can see this very thing happen, and I can get a good laugh out of it as well.

Thanks for the visual.

Stoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found most faire security don't care if the handle is attached to a blade, shoehorn or bottle opener, they will want to make it so all their staff know it has been inspected. This often includes peace tying something that really doesn't need to be. Having worked security at various events I appreciate the clue but also see the ridiculousness this sometimes breeds.

Because of this there is no need to make the tying fit in or be discrete. I often tie my blades with fluorescent colored plastic wire ties. In the case of a small blade with no easy loops to tie onto, I usually tie one around the handle, 1 around the sheath and two on the sides to connect those two ties. In the case of a sgian dhu that will be in your hose make sure that the one on the sheath does not catch on your hose.