X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this video and figured it was good for a laugh.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotla...t-14446902.amp

Saw this video by the British military on how to wear a kilt figured I would share.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Mpfox1733 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was great - Thanks

I guess I'm wearing my flashes incorrectly
    “It has never been hard to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”

P.G. Wodehouse.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should probably be pointed out that these modern military standards are not necessarily the same as civilian traditions. For instance, they wear the kilt to the centre of the knee these days, where previous military standards were to the top of the knee and many civilian traditionalists still prefer the top of the knee. Also, he says 2-1/2 inches of flashes should be showing below the turnover of the kilt hose. That's fine for the military where they are striving for uniformity, but it's quite long. Many traditionalists prefer them to be much shorter with just a wee bit showing, especially if wearing woollen garter ties instead of flashes.

It was entertaining, though!

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very interesting video there...

Most interesting is the "middle of the kneecap" which is a bit lower than the longstanding military AND civilian tradition of around the top of the kneecap. I have been noticing that the RRS kilts have been drooping a bit

About the flashes, note that from 1809 up until the 1950s there were five kilted Highland regiments, and they were of two minds concerning flashes.

One way was the one continued by the RRS: having the leading edge of the forward flash come to the imaginary centre-line of the front diamond on the cuff of the diced hose. Or, when selfcoloured hose are worn, to the imaginary centre-line of the leg. (Black Watch, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.)

The other way was to have the leading edge of the front flash come to the edge of the front diamond on the cuff of the diced hose. When wearing selfcoloured hose, using the clock analogy (sorry Dr Jones) the flashes could be thought of as being at the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock positions. (Gordon Highlanders, Cameron Highlanders, Seaforth Highlanders.)

The latter way has long been the standard in civilian Highland Dress.

One thing I didn't hear them mention was to wear the kilt centred but you can see that they do.

Time for pictures!

The 1950s, showing both military and civilian kilts worn at the top of the kneecap

The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, showing the wearing of the flashes up to the centre-line of the leg

The Cameron Highlanders, flashes back to the edge of the diamond

With civilians, often a bit further to the side

Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd April 19 at 05:21 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was certainly entertaining, and I do love to hear proper English spoken.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Also, he says 2-1/2 inches of flashes should be showing below the turnover of the kilt hose. That's fine for the military where they are striving for uniformity, but it's quite long. Many traditionalists prefer them to be much shorter with just a wee bit showing, especially if wearing woollen garter ties instead of flashes.
    I've always assumed that garter ties are not necessarily supposed to be the same length as flashes. If I'm wearing a 36" garter tie, I'm not going to wrap it around my calf twice and still have 2" to dangle down ... unless I'm okay with my foot turning purple.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    A very interesting video there...

Most interesting is the "middle of the kneecap" which is a bit lower than the longstanding military AND civilian tradition of around the top of the kneecap. I have been noticing that the RRS kilts have been drooping a bit

About the flashes, note that from 1809 up until the 1950s there were five kilted Highland regiments, and they were of two minds concerning flashes.

One way was the one continued by the RRS: having the leading edge of the forward flash come to the imaginary centre-line of the front diamond on the cuff of the diced hose. Or, when selfcoloured hose are worn, to the imaginary centre-line of the leg. (Black Watch, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.)

The other way was to have the leading edge of the front flash come to the edge of the front diamond on the cuff of the diced hose. When wearing selfcoloured hose, using the clock analogy (sorry Dr Jones) the flashes could be thought of as being at the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock positions. (Gordon Highlanders, Cameron Highlanders, Seaforth Highlanders.)

The latter way has long been the standard in civilian Highland Dress.

One thing I didn't hear them mention was to wear the kilt centred but you can see that they do.

Time for pictures!

The 1950s, showing both military and civilian kilts worn at the top of the kneecap

The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, showing the wearing of the flashes up to the centre-line of the leg

The Cameron Highlanders, flashes back to the edge of the diamond

With civilians, often a bit further to the side

The second image however is wearing his kilt mid knee and not above it.

Indeed the method I was told from knowledge carried through the family from ex serving relatives about putting on a kilt (kneeling and just letting the bottom touch the floor) gives a mid knee length and not above it. I always used to hike mine up a bit so was just above thr knee.

In the days of the belted plaid the plaid could even end up 3" above the knee.

So perhaps lengths have fluctuated rather than got longer.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Still confusing as their latest Dress Regulations from 2018 states that The bottom of the apron should hang 1 inch above the centre of the knee.

I was at the Scottish Infantry Depot at Glencorse as an Instructor. I was Royal Scots and wore Trews but we had to learn how to dress all 4 Highland regiments and the 1 inch above the knee was used.

They changed our TOS'S and now the kilts
    Aye Yours

Jim

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to carlisle401 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good laugh, that.

We speak the same language...Robin Williams was right.
    #beamaker