X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    I think you'll get a better feel by looking at satellite view on Google Maps. You can see that the entire area between the Bannonck Burn and Stirling Castle has been turned into a series of subdivisions.

A portion of the battlefield is free of development, so it's slightly better preserved than The Alamo, where only a few of the buildings remain, overshadowed by surrounding hotels (though the Menger Hotel is a historic building in its own right ... by American standards, not European standards).
    Thanks for posting links to visual examples. In my mind, the issue of preserving these sites is partly about preserving history, but there's also the preservation of "hallowed ground". In a place where men spilled each others' blood, suffered, fought and died for ideals larger than themselves, it seems offensive to throw it all in the rubbish bin of history and replace it with a Starbucks or a take-away restaurant. If we are to cherish not only our history but our humanity, it is important to leave certain spaces as "untouchable". These should be places for reflection and learning.

Much of Europe has already been built on such sites which have been lost to time. I suppose it's inevitable that when an area has a longer history of human presence, the more such sites there will be, and some will end up forgotten. I'd like to think that humans could agree that this is a shame, and should be avoided when possible.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    A worthy cause and one that I will be supporting.

Radical plans emerge to buy up Culloden on “behalf of nation”
    As will I. Years ago I was a guide at Culloden. That was long prior to the new NTS centre, which does an admirable job of telling both sides of the story. It is possible to undo development, of course, simply much more difficult and costly than retention of historic sites in their original form. When I was guiding it was amongst the tree plantation that has now been well cleared back to the muir of the 18C, a relatively simple task because cleared forest land does eventually return to what it was. But the 19C road over the muir was terribly destructive and from that there is no recovery. The road was driven straight through the main graves without regard for history or the people buried there. The NTS has done what it can, but for those who look carefully the roadbed is still there and the long graves fractured forever.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too could likely be persuaded to make a donation to the cause. I'm sure that they'll accept $Cdn as well as any other currency.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Facebook page called "Jacobite History." If you like and follow the page, you can message them and ask to be put on an email list to be kept abreast of this latest development. There is also a Facebook group, GSDC (group to stop development at Culloden) that some might find of interest. No one is accepting donations yet, but I understand it will be happening fairly soon.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dughlas mor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Satellite imagery of Culloden battlefield

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Without the benefit of maps, or knowing who owns what and where and how far the important areas of the battlefield stretch it is difficult to comment accurately...
    Jock, here is a link to the Google maps satellite view of the battlefield: https://www.google.com/maps/search/b.../data=!3m1!1e3

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    Jock, here is a link to the Google maps satellite view of the battlefield: https://www.google.com/maps/search/b.../data=!3m1!1e3

Larry
    Thank you for that. Actually Google maps are not helpful for finding land boundaries, who owns what, where the pertinent battlefield markers are, proposed planning applications, where does the land in question stand in the minds of officialdom(if it does) for future planning applications, etc..

Actually, I know the battlefield area pretty well, what I don't know is who owns what and where. Where the National Trust bounderies are etc.. What and where outwith the NT area is going to be protected in future and at what cost. Is a compulsory purchase order a possibility? How much is the public expected to contribute? Is this good use for public funds when there ARE other pressing issues needing the finance? Personally I would need to know all of the above before I part with a penny.

Sorry, but its the farmer in me at work here.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th April 19 at 08:27 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Thank you for that. Actually Google maps are not helpful for finding land boundaries, who owns what, where the pertinent battlefield markers are, proposed planning applications, where does the land in question stand in the minds of officialdom(if it does) for future planning applications, etc..

Actually, I know the battlefield area pretty well, what I don't know is who owns what and where. Where the National Trust bounderies are etc.. What and where outwith the NT area is going to be protected in future and at what cost. Is a compulsory purchase order a possibility? How much is the public expected to contribute? Is this good use for public funds when there ARE other pressing issues needing the finance? Personally I would need to know all of the above before I part with a penny.

Sorry, but its the farmer in me at work here.

In my past life as a project manager, I could always find parcel boundaries and designations from the municipal tax/parcel data maps online. However, I'm not in Scotland and don't know if the same are available as a resource. I would imagine the information is readily available but I've been wrong once or twice before.

I may try digging up some info when I get back from the studio but it'll take me a while since I'm starting from square one on this and am unfamiliar with how the system works in Scotland. Someone with some local knowledge could probably dig the relevant information up in a quarter hour or so.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    In my past life as a project manager, I could always find parcel boundaries and designations from the municipal tax/parcel data maps online. However, I'm not in Scotland and don't know if the same are available as a resource. I would imagine the information is readily available but I've been wrong once or twice before.

I may try digging up some info when I get back from the studio but it'll take me a while since I'm starting from square one on this and am unfamiliar with how the system works in Scotland. Someone with some local knowledge could probably dig the relevant information up in a quarter hour or so.
    Indeed much of the information will be available, it is perhaps available on the internet if you know how the system works. If there are gaps then questions need to be asked to those who ought to know. If they don't, one wonders why?

I suspect "someone" has raised a genuine concern and is seeing where things might lead and that "someone" is testing the "depth of the water" so to speak. To my mind, without a concrete proposal based on all the facts, rather than some fanciful idea(?) with no facts available other than a scare story, that may have some basis, in a news paper.

What I need to see is a proposal that shows the area of the battlefield. Which bit is needed to be saved? How much an acre is the purchase price? How many acres are needed to preserve the site for posterity? How close to the proposed boundary will future developments come? How much will the Government/local authority contribute? How much will the National Trust contribute? How much are the public required to contribute? Until I have those answers, my loot stays where it is.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th April 19 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added an afterthought.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the same side of the fence. No detailed project/business plan, no capital from my pocket.

I'm mostly curious as to what the scope of the project might be.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of what Jock says is true and much more information is yet to be revealed and perhaps even assembled. This is not a fund-raising forum, however, so interest in and 'support' for the concept should be the only things on our minds here. The project -- whatever its scope -- is about the retention of historic sites and prioritising levels of importance. Where the funds come from, and when, is a far cry down the line.

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast