X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Identify this tartan

Can anyone identify this tartan? I have tried a multitude of online resources. It is poly viscose and the “white” lines are actually yellow. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72640948-7AAE-403D-A266-785BE93C1E00.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	36758

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just some helpful information to pass on.
    There is a common misunderstanding about the term "P/V". The letters stand for Polyester and Viscose which is the British term for Rayon.

Many sites use the term P/V to mean any synthetic fabric when in fact it is a very specific blending of Polyester and Rayon.
    Currently there is only one weaving mill that produce a kilt quality fabric in a Polyester/Rayon blend. That is Marton Mills.

I checked their Balmoral line of P/V fabrics and this design does not seem to be on their stock Tartan listing.

So I suspect that this is one of the unregistered fashion Tartans most commonly woven in an Acrylic fabric in Pakistan, India or China.

To tell the difference is a fairly easy thing. The true P/V woven by Marton Mills weighs 250 grams per square meter. Or just about 12oz in kilt terms.

So measure along the bottom and find the total length of fabric used. Multiply that by the width of the fabric. (usually 24 inches) This will give the total square inches of fabric used to make the kilt.
    Then place your kilt on a scale and weigh it in ounces.

For example - If your kilt is made from 8 linear yards by 24 inches wide there would be 6912 square inches of fabric used.

If your kilt is made from Marton Mills P/V this example kilt would weight 39.32 ounces or 2.24 pounds.

Another way to tell, is to do what in the garment world is known as a burn test. You find a small piece of fabric or even just a yarn or two from some hidden part of the kilt. (the Tartan, not the thread the kilt is sewn with)

If you light those fibers and notice an acrid, or sharp chemical smell. If the fibers continue to burn after taking the flame away, leaving a hard solid mass behind, you probably have an Acrylic fabric.

P/V will not continue to burn after you remove the flame. The smell will be more like burning leaves and the residue will be a gray powder.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 25th April 19 at 12:37 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that blue or green color between the yellow stripes? Not that I will know the tartan but it may help someone else identify the fabric easier. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Is that blue or green color between the yellow stripes? Not that I will know the tartan but it may help someone else identify the fabric easier. Thanks in advance.
    Green 😊. Sorry the photo isn’t the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Just some helpful information to pass on.
    There is a common misunderstanding about the term "P/V". The letters stand for Polyester and Viscose which is the British term for Rayon.
    Yes, I have heard that before. I will check the weight for sure but this is not a kilt, simply fabric from a local supplier. They told me its was Poly Viscose. A few years ago i purchased some to make a dozen Black Watch Kilts for a week long Scout Jamboree.
    I know most of their fabric comes from a US supplier but as far as the actual manufacturer I do not know.
    Thanks
    - Al