X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roll of the dice - excited about my new hose...

Finally got my hands on some new hose. Does that sound right?

Anyway, you know what I mean. Custom made by Anne Stewart Knitwear, a bit of back and forth over the choice of wool, a few weeks to knit and then an interminable wait whilst they sat at my folk's place in the UK for a couple of months. I don't think I have ever been so excited over a pair of socks.

The main colour is camel (about midway between bison and oatmeal) and has a felted tweed finish, with a subtle marl effect and some flecks of off-white and blue (which tone well with the tartan). I wanted to go with something subdued like this, and with a textured finish, as I think the tartan (Ancient Macfarlane) is quite loud - certainly for me - and I felt solid coloured hose might compete too much and this might tone everything down a little and provide a more neutral pallet for the tartan.

I think it all worked out.

The kilt is my other recent gumtree find - brand new, heavyweight, 8 yards - £100. Not what I was looking for - but too good to pass at that price.

The only problem is I have since bought a new sporran, pleated strap and a belt (all tan) to go with this rig and I am now thinking about another tweed jacket - especially if I can get my hands on one in Harris Tweed Taransay - although I do have a tweed sports jacket which is a great match and I might get altered instead...
    Last edited by Tomo; 26th April 19 at 11:15 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those look great. I’ve been thinking about ordering a pair this review is pushing me over the edge. Congratulations and thanks for the review.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a good look and without flashes (garters) or folded over, seems to fit well and the colors (in my opinion) work with what you show in the photo and what you have shown in other posts (ie. the jacket). Good for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing. Im putting in an order today
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Garth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    without flashes (garters) or folded over, seems to fit well...
    There is a turn over - but not too bulky - and they are made to measure so no need for a tuck and tight enough around the calf not to need garters (although typically I do wear them).

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good tartan and a fine looking pair of socks, it's now on my Xmas list.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been obsessing over these since you posted the pictures on the clan Facebook page. I'm emailing her tonight....I need those socks! ;-) Loch Sloy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post

Anyway, you know what I mean. Custom made by Anne Stewart Knitwear, a bit of back and forth over the choice of wool, a few weeks to knit and then an interminable wait whilst they sat at my folk's place in the UK for a couple of months. I don't think I have ever been so excited over a pair of socks.

The main colour is camel (about midway between bison and oatmeal) and has a felted tweed finish, with a subtle marl effect and some flecks of off-white and blue (which tone well with the tartan). I wanted to go with something subdued like this, and with a textured finish, as I think the tartan (Ancient Macfarlane) is quite loud - certainly for me - and I felt solid coloured hose might compete too much and this might tone everything down a little and provide a more neutral pallet for the tartan.

The kilt is my other recent gumtree find - brand new, heavyweight, 8 yards - £100. Not what I was looking for - but too good to pass at that price.

The only problem is I have since bought a new sporran, pleated strap and a belt (all tan) to go with this rig and I am now thinking about another tweed jacket - especially if I can get my hands on one in Harris Tweed Taransay - although I do have a tweed sports jacket which is a great match and I might get altered instead...
    Last edited by pbutts; 27th April 19 at 12:06 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to pbutts For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorgeous kilt and gorgeous hose!
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    That's a good tartan and a fine looking pair of socks, it's now on my Xmas list.
    And mine! Excellently priced too!
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post

Do some searching on XMTS. There was a photo a couple years back of a piper in solo competition with ancient colors MacFarlane and a Lovett green tweed jacket. I believe the St. Louis Caledonian Pipe Band wears that tartan, so that might help you track down the photo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast