X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Highland Logan above I would rather not get into the fight about traditional or not.

I would rather point out the differences in shirts and primarily that a formal or tuxedo shirt is different from a white dress shirt that would be worn with a suit.

The primary difference is that a dress shirt is normally fastened with buttons and a tux shirt will normally be fastened with studs and cufflinks.

A dress shirt will normally be made from Cotton or a Polyester blend. Ease of care and wrinkle resistance are usually the primary characteristics.

A Formal shirt will usually be made from a bit fancier fabrics. A higher quality or higher thread count Cotton perhaps. Someone mentioned "Marcella" which is a weave, a pique fabric, sometimes with a very small waffle pattern woven in.

There are some formal shirts made from silk out there.

A formal shirt can have a wing collar.

A point collar.

And even a spread collar.

The front can have a starched 'bib'.

Plain front with or without a placket covering the buttons.

A pleated front.

ruffles

heck I've even seen horizontal pleats

Anyone of these would probably work for your intended use. (Well the ruffles scream the '70's to a lot of people and the horizontal pleats are a bit of fashion flare.)

So see what is available to you, what fits your budget and your personal preference.

Personally I think this photo illustrates a simple, classic, timeless elegance which is what I strive for.

If there were any hint I can pass on it would be to learn to tie your own bow tie. (It is the same knot you use to tie your shoes.)
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 27th April 19 at 01:46 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see all of the pictures Steve. It could be my mobile browser, I'm not sure, but I thought I would bring it up just in case.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And when I personally think of a black dinner jacket (which Americans and some others call a "tuxedo") here's the one that comes to mind first:

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    And when I personally think of a black dinner jacket (which Americans and some others call a "tuxedo") here's the one that comes to mind first:

And the Connery iteration of Bond was partial to pleated shirts.

From bondsuits.com
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    And the Connery iteration of Bond was partial to pleated shirts.

From bondsuits.com
    Yup. Typical of the 1960s -50 years plus ago
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wing collar shirts.

Just attended a regimental ball tonight where everyone in mess kit was wearing a wing collar shirt. Find out what the standard is for your regiment and follow it. I usually wear wing collar shirts for white tie only but "when in Rome."
    "All the great things are simple and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honour, duty, mercy, hope." Winston Churchill

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Ordway For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordway View Post
    Just attended a regimental ball tonight where everyone in mess kit was wearing a wing collar shirt. Find out what the standard is for your regiment and follow it. I usually wear wing collar shirts for white tie only but "when in Rome."
    With kilts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer, and wear, a formal white wingtip collar, French cuffed, pleated bib front shirt and black tie with my Prince Charlie regardless of what everyone here thinks. I like the look, and it DOES have a historical provenance to fall back on if that is your thing.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordway View Post
    1 or 2 RNBR?
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP did state this was for his regiment, a military organization, therefore we are discussing uniforms. That would typically mean that somewhere there is a written and recorded list of specifications. Usually as long as you are able to meet these specifications, you should be in the clear. If your applicable regulations, or leadership, do not say 'must have', 'must be x', nor 'must not have', then ask your fellows what they have selected or decide what you think looks best.
    I do not have the Canadian regulations, but my copy for the British RRS No. 10A says white marcella shirt with white buttons and soft collar.
    I will gladly be corrected for better information by wiser heads than I. Several of the previous commentators, including Mr Ashton I believe, have served in the Canadian Regiments and I would consider them wiser heads.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast