X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1881 Sutherland tartan colours?

I know it's in black-and-white, and it's just a photograph, but it struck me how in this photo, taken in 1881 (the year the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders were formed) that the double-track motif occurs in the lightest part of the tartan.

Does this tartan have a dark green and light blue?

It can also be seen in this photo

Compare this to the 20th century regimental tartan where the blue is dark and the green is light

In contrast to the above photos, other 19th century photos show the blue and green areas close in lightness/darkness

This photo is interesting because the green and blue in the waistcoat are very close in lightness/darkness, but the plaid shows the blue lighter than the green as in the top photos

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th April 19 at 02:12 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as,Id like to contribute to this posting, all I can say OC is that you have way too much time on your hands. I however do appreciate your postings, always a fascinating read.
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It very much looks like the blue is lighter than normal. Note also how still and relatively thick the the cloth appears to be. I wonder if this was some older material or some non-standard issue cloth.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    you have way too much time on your hands...
    Hah!

It's not the amount of time as much as it is when I have it! Many/most of my postings are in the early morning hours, 3am to 5am, when I can't sleep and the house is quiet and though I would love to practice the bagpipes my family wouldn't appreciate it.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: