X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thecompaqguy View Post
    There's one here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Twe...edirect=mobile

That might be worth a look. Not sure if the seller would ship abroad, but the bidding is at £50 so far
    I contacted the vendor. They said £80 in shipping to send to the U.S.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    I contacted the vendor. They said £80 in shipping to send to the U.S.
    Ok. I guess it was tweed and more e pensive than a regular kilt jacket. New ones are around £200 from what Ive seen, but I'm sure you could find others. TBH most people in Scotland are not always Kilted except tourists and bagpipers... You will see more kilts at functions like weddings, events, occasionally soccer matches. How about looking on the US Ebay or trying USA Kilts?
    Kilted Technician!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
    As OCRichard mentioned above waistcoats needn't match the jacket. I often don't wear matched vests. I match my hose to the waistcoat color, and it's a good look in my opinion. To use a silly term it is Fashion Forward to unmatch your kilt vest and jacket. Only stodgy kilters insist on a match.
    Whilst I agree that the waistcoat needn't always match the jacket (and mixing different coloured waistcoats with one jacket can greatly expand one's range of outfits), I do think it's ideal to obtain a matching waistcoat if possible. It's worth the extra expense, in my opinion. That waistcoat doesn't always have to be the one worn, but it's nice to have that option when the occasion arises. If I were contemplating a new purchase, I'd go for the gold, as it were, and spring for a matched set.

I certainly won't say no to a lovely jacket that doesn't have a matching waistcoat, and indeed I have several of them, but I often find that my favourite jackets are the ones with matching waistcoats. Not wanting to be stodgy, I won't insist on it, but I do have to say I prefer a matching waistcoat. It just looks more ...put together, if that makes sense.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I certainly won't say no to a lovely jacket that doesn't have a matching waistcoat, and indeed I have several of them, but I often find that my favourite jackets are the ones with matching waistcoats. Not wanting to be stodgy, I won't insist on it, but I do have to say I prefer a matching waistcoat. It just looks more ...put together, if that makes sense.
    I have one of each of a lovat blue and a lovat green. The green is sans-waistcoat. I wear that one when I feel like wearing tweed but not a waistcoat. If I'm going to wear both, I'll opt for the blue one. I don't tend to mix them but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    I know Kilts4Less.com sells Argyll tweeds within that budget. I'm not sure whether they have a storefront you could visit while there. I purchased an ex-hire black barathea Argyll jacket & waistcoat from them, and I'm considering them as a possibility for a new tweed jacket & waistcoat.
    Their factory outlet address is in Greenock:
    18 Crawfurd Street,
    Greenock,
    PA15 1LJ
    Might be a bit far west, depending on your direction of travel after Stirling..
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ex hire

Recently I purchased an arrochar jacket from eBay UK (I'm in Glasgow) and decided to source a matching waistcoat.
    I found a company based in Glasgow who are online that do ex hire and I purchased an arrochar waistcoat that matched my jacket... only £15 plus postage.
    They have a good range of ex hire jackets and I'm sure they'd post to your location.
    Company is called Gilt Edged

https://kiltjacket.co.uk/collections/ex-hire-stock

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mr stonk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get yourself down to the Grassmarket and have a browse here - https://www.armstrongsvintage.co.uk/. Contact them ahead of time to ask what they have in stock.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through a devil of a time trying to match a tweed waistcoat to a vintage tweed jacket I really like.

At first I was looking at waistcoats, then fabrics, and finally vintage jackets from which I could salvage enough tweed for a waistcoat, but I never found a tweed that matched my jacket well enough to create the appearance of a matched outfit.

It all convinced me that one needs to purchase the jacket and waistcoat together. Or as mentioned above get both from a supplier that continues to use the same fabric.

About suppliers that continue to use the same fabric, a local Pipe Band here decided to go with green Argyll jackets instead of the standard black. They ordered 15 or so initially, then over the years as new members joined new jackets were ordered, always from the same firm, always specifying the same fabric.

By the time I joined the band (over a decade after the initial jacket order) no two jackets were the same shade of green! They varied from an extremely dark Archer Green to a bright Kelly Green and every shade in between.

Whenever I saw our Pipe Band standing in formation, this song came to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzOSsZU_rb4
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th May 19 at 05:13 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12