X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Kilts for sale or trade Isle of Skye and Holyrood tartans

This is a bump with new pricing. Both kilts for a total of $300!
    Much as I hate to do so, it is time to give up two of my favorite kilts. I retired about 7 years ago and have lost almost 4 inches around my waist. (Better diet and exercise) I have gone from a 42 inch waist to a 38 inch waist. If someone would like to buy or trade for these kilts, described below, please send me a PM.

Isle of Skye. Wool. 42 inch waist, 44 seat, 24 inch drop. Kilt is knife pleated and was advertised as a 5 yard kilt, but actual measurement is about 4 yards and 1 foot. 3 buckles, 2 belt loops in back and fringed apron. Included are matching flashes. It has a black fabric liner for the top 8 inches or so. Like new condition, no stains or rips.

Asking $200 NEW PRICE $175 and I will pay postage in the USA.

Holyrood. Same description (size, details, etc.) as the Isle of Skye above. Also asking $200. With Matching Flashes.

If someone has a kilt of similar make kilt in size 38, I would be willing to trade, depending on the tartan.
    Last edited by A Hay; 16th May 19 at 07:01 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to A Hay For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can recall the maker or origins, it would help greatly to entice further interest. Just a suggestion.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Origins of kilts

Mike,

I purchased these two kilts from the same firm but not at the same time. I don't recall the name of the firm, but they were based in Scotland. It may have been something like Scotwear, but I'm not sure. They are well made and probably machine sewn. Cost was probably $250 or so. I would keep them if they still fit.

Tom

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to A Hay For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not trying to kill a sale, but I would think a skilled tailor could move the buckles for you to make them fit again. My weight has fluctuated due to injuries and work travel schedule, so I have had some of mine moved over time - if you were in NY, I would give you names of who I used.

Best of luck,

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reply to suggestion for moving buckles

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have moved buckles on two other kilts with some success, but they began to affect the look of the kilt, in my opinion.

In this case I would have to decrease the waist from 42 inches to 38 inches. Just too much.
    I was hoping to sell these two and then purchase another Isle of Skye made for my current size.

If the kilts don't sell in a few days, I will probably withdraw them from here and put them up on Ebay.

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good afternoon,
    Are these kilts measured as a 42” waist at the middle of the buckles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    Good afternoon,
    Are these kilts measured as a 42” waist at the middle of the buckles?
    I measured the inside circumference with the buckles set to the last hole for the largest size and it measures about 42 inches, which is what the tag on the inside of the kilt says. You might be able to relocate the strap to get another inch but that would probably be the largest size possible.

I also measured with the buckles set to the smallest circumference and that measured 40 inches. My waist is now 38 inches which is why I want to sell the kilts

These measurements apply to both the Isle of Skye and the Holyrood kilts.

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, but I did not check the thread in the last couple of days.

Tom

Please delete this thread. I have successfully moved the buckles so that the kilts fit and I am withdrawing them from offer.

Thank you

Tom
    Last edited by A Hay; 9th June 19 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Withdrawn from offer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed at request of OP.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.