X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the tartan he's wearing in those photos? The article just lists it as "his family's tartan" and I couldn't find it in the list of royal tartans.
    It is his special weave of Prince Charles Edward tartan, as figheadair described in this thread: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...gardens-93851/

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    It is his special weave of Prince Charles Edward tartan, as figheadair described in this thread: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...gardens-93851/
    Produced by Andrew Elliot Ltd I believe. Wonderful tartan (and exclusive, of course... Shame!)
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    One of Prince Charles's many titles is, Lord of the Isles, so he is I suppose entitled to wear the tartan. I am a bit hazy how the title was obtained and I stand to be corrected, but I seem to recall that one of the Kings of Scotland several centuries ago, had a bit of a tiff with the MacDonalds and took the title for himself to make the point to all, that the King was in charge in the Highlands and Islands and not the MacDonalds.
    Quite right Jock. The MacDonalds lost the Lordship of the Isles to the Scottish crown in 1493. And the Earldom of Ross at the same time I believe.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus, I believe he has had that particular sporran since the 1950s, when it was made for him or he inherited it. It is a good looking sporran and obviously well made to last this long. Black might have visually overwelmed his tartan anyway.
    His shoes do work well to balance his waistcoat and jacket.
    Jock, that is exactly the reaction I was expecting from you and other Scots. "Just another Thursday then".
    As for his tie, I an FAR from an expert on regimental/university neckwear so that detail in the pictures just flew right over my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    The style of Prince Charles' waistcoat (straight cut across the bottom) isn't a style I've seen for sale with kilt waistcoats. Is that something we're likely to see more of in the future?
    It reminds me of the old battledress jackets. I'm also noticing a mixture of collars, shawl on the waistcoat vs notched on the jacket. Interesting constrast of styles.

Does anyone know what HRH's kilt pin is? It seems to be a clan crest, but I cannot tell which one. My best guess is Stuart, based on the tartan and royal history.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The style of Prince Charles' waistcoat (straight cut across the bottom) isn't a style I've seen for sale with kilt waistcoats. Is that something we're likely to see more of in the future?
    When I had my Scottish Wildcat Tartan kilt suit I had the waistcoat made straight across the bottom, I would say that it’s one of the benefits of getting a set bespoke made.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Does anyone know what HRH's kilt pin is? It seems to be a clan crest, but I cannot tell which one. My best guess is Stuart, based on the tartan and royal history.
    figheadair also answered that question in the link I provided in my previous reply.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    what is the tartan he's wearing in those photos?
    This one

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    The first thing I noticed was the Duke of Rothsay was mixing his leathers. A nice brown sporran and black brogues.
    When I first started wearing Highland Dress, and looking at as many photos as I could find, back in the 1970s, that's one of the first things I noticed too: in Day Dress men were invariably wearing brown leather sporrans and black shoes.

This can be seen as early as in a portrait painted in 1700, and ever since.

In Highland Dress catalogues from the 1920s through the 1940s leather Day Dress sporrans are only offered in brown; the brogues are only offered in black. You couldn't match leathers if you wanted to!

As best I can tell leather Day sporrans began being offered in black around the 1960s. I certainly could be wrong, and welcome images that show them earlier.

In 1700

In 1909

In 1936

And right now

Last edited by OC Richard; 7th May 19 at 06:05 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope so! It's a very nice look. It goes way back

And double-breasted!

Last edited by OC Richard; 7th May 19 at 06:20 PM.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast