X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great photos of Prince Charles kilted at the Castle of Mey

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I noticed was the Duke of Rothsay was mixing his leathers. A nice brown sporran and black brogues. How many Americans would be aghast at anyone outside the royal family doing so? And how many Scots would say 'so what'?

Second thing was, those are gorgeous burgundy hose!

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing I noticed was that he is wearing a Royal Regiment of Wales tie . Interesting choice given the number of Scottish and other Highland Regiments he is associated with.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the caption: "Charles, who is known as the Duke of Rothesay when he's in Scotland, donned a gold thistle pin badge alongside a sprig of local heather."

Complete with the motto 'Ich Dien', I imagine.

Last edited by Bruce Scott; 3rd May 19 at 02:13 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    The first thing I noticed was the Duke of Rothsay was mixing his leathers. A nice brown sporran and black brogues. How many Americans would be aghast at anyone outside the royal family doing so? And how many Scots would say 'so what'?
    He has done so all his life, and it's perfectly acceptable. That sporran has a lot of history, and he has had those shoes a long time too.

(photo by Tim Graham/Getty Images)

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post

Second thing was, those are gorgeous burgundy hose!
    "So what." The Duke's attire is a perfectly normal kilt attire choice to the traditionally kilted Scot. Although a lapel pin (any lapel pin) might not be the choice of many.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd May 19 at 04:27 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lapel badge is not a "gold thistle" but rather the Prince of Wales' feathers
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince...s_of_the_badge
    The heather may be "local" but is not likely to be a native species at this time of year. More probably a continental erica growing in the Castle gardens?
    Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 3rd May 19 at 06:12 AM.

13. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few observations

Lord Thurso was wearing a striped jacket with his kilt. I believe that's the first time I've seen a striped jacket worn with a kilt, with the possible exception of OC Richard's historical photos.

The style of Prince Charles' waistcoat (straight cut across the bottom) isn't a style I've seen for sale with kilt waistcoats. Is that something we're likely to see more of in the future?

In the photo posted by Tobus, Prince Charles is wearing a MacDonald, Lord of the Isles tartan (and he's worn it on other occasions as well). What is the custom/tradition/story behind him wearing that tartan?
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    Lord Thurso was wearing a striped jacket with his kilt. I believe that's the first time I've seen a striped jacket worn with a kilt, with the possible exception of OC Richard's historical photos.

The style of Prince Charles' waistcoat (straight cut across the bottom) isn't a style I've seen for sale with kilt waistcoats. Is that something we're likely to see more of in the future?

In the photo posted by Tobus, Prince Charles is wearing a MacDonald, Lord of the Isles tartan (and he's worn it on other occasions as well). What is the custom/tradition/story behind him wearing that tartan?
    One of Prince Charles's many titles is, Lord of the Isles, so he is I suppose entitled to wear the tartan. I am a bit hazy how the title was obtained and I stand to be corrected, but I seem to recall that one of the Kings of Scotland several centuries ago, had a bit of a tiff with the MacDonalds and took the title for himself to make the point to all, that the King was in charge in the Highlands and Islands and not the MacDonalds.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd May 19 at 06:41 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan ID

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the tartan he's wearing in those photos? The article just lists it as "his family's tartan" and I couldn't find it in the list of royal tartans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast