X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about pleating on casual kilts

Rocky,
    I noticed from your photos that some of the casual kilts are pleated to the sett (i.e. Sterling, Tara, and St. Andrews) while others are pleated to the stripe (i.e. American Heritage, Glyndwr, and Scottish National).

I expect to order another casual kilt within the next 6 weeks, and I'm trying to decide what to order.

There are certain tartans that I like (or prefer) pleated to the stripe, while there are others that I only like pleated to the sett. And for the ones pleated to the stripe, I have distinct preferences about which stripe I like best.

The current top four contenders:
    Holyrood: Is this normally pleated to the sett (or ever pleated to the sett)? If not, do you have a photo of what the pleats look like?
    St. Andrews: Is this normally pleated to the sett? (Obviously, based on the photos, it's an option.) If it's not normally pleated to the sett, what is the best way to request that on my order?
    American Heritage: This appears to normally be pleated to the white stripe. Is that correct?
    Oakleigh: The one example appeared to be pleated to the stripe, but not the yellow stripe. What would be the best way to request the pleat be to a particular stripe?

Thanks
    Trying to look good on a budget.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We pleat our Casual kilts is based on the size of the sett and the amount of cloth used. The only kilts we typically offer a choice of pleating on is our 8 Yard Wool kilts.

That being said, for the tartans you have listed, in our Casual kilt, here's how we would pleat them (and unfortunately, we don't have images of completed kilts):

Oakleigh - Stripe (typically, the double yellow stripes, though if you wanted a different stripe, we could do that)

American Heritage - Stripe (typically, the white stripe, though if you wanted a different stripe, we could do that)

St. Andrews - Sett

Holyrood - Stripe (typically, the white stripe in the brown, though if you wanted a different stripe, we could do that)

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Times Change....I've owned six USA Kilts Casuals pleated to the stripe.

Douglas

Gordon Modern

Ramsay

Warrior

McPherson Hunting

Scott Green Weathered

If I recall correctly (factor in olde age) the pleat pattern was chosen at the factory...
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the pics

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    I've owned six USA Kilts Casuals pleated to the stripe.
    Thanks Riverkilt. That was more helpful than you might have expected. Ramsay and Oakleigh are nearly identical (there's a color difference), and Warrior was actually 5th on my list (even though I only asked about the top 4).

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    If I recall correctly (factor in olde age) the pleat pattern was chosen at the factory...
    Generally, yes. But I always like to ask. In part, it helps me know what I'm buying. I prefer some tartans to the sett. I prefer others to the stripe. In this case, it helped me choose which tartan I was buying. (I chose St. Andrews over Holyrood. I'll probably eventually get American Heritage as well, but that may be a few years down the road.)
    Trying to look good on a budget.