X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradshaw Mountain Hike

My friend John and I recently hiked the Algonquin trail in the Bradshaw mountains near Prescott, AZ. It started out as a rock hunting trip, but quickly became a wildflower photo trip as the photos that follow show. I was wearing my UT Kilts camo utility kilt. Though very comfortable for hiking, the brush along the really steep trail had thorns and also a nasty kind of weed with tiny burrs with hair-fine barbs that would even stick into the thick part of your fingers. Nonetheless, I kilted on. This is a strenuous hike; and the following Monday I hobbled around at work due to sore muscles. The trail was well marked with lots of mica sparkling the path and black tourmaline shooting through pegmatite outcrops along the way. Anyhow, here are the photos.....

"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord....." Psalm 33:12

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Norm For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photos Norm. We don't have those deep blue Columbine flowers here in Mississippi but I am knocked out by the color. I'll post the native species here for you to compare.

I'm glad you had a beautiful day to hike. The rocks will be there when you get back.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very nice

ah Prescott one of the schools I spent many hours combating on the gridiron. The flowers have been incredible this year (which does mean a rough fire season here in socal). By the way what is the white spikey flower on the bottom. There were a ton at Joshua tree when I hiked it a couple of weeks ago. great shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    ah Prescott one of the schools I spent many hours combating on the gridiron. The flowers have been incredible this year (which does mean a rough fire season here in socal). By the way what is the white spikey flower on the bottom. There were a ton at Joshua tree when I hiked it a couple of weeks ago. great shots.
    I think the spikey flower is actually a seed cluster after the flower bloomed, similar to how dandelions work. Each white spikey has a black seed rod that pokes down to a head below.
    I enjoy reading your posts; you got the cutest dog; what type is it? His ears look like they could intercept radio signals. We used to have a Benji type dog, but she died of old age at 15 years.
    I guess where you live you could wear a kilt all year round. Here the elevation is 5600 feet, so winter puts the brakes on kilting. But after that, I wear kilts on trips, especially Phoenix, to the post office, to men's Bible study, to Ace Hardware, and just about everywhere else, except work. Not sure that driving a fork truck or walking on grated catwalks makes a kilt the best choice.
    Have a good one!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey neighbor, great pics
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I think the spikey flower is actually a seed cluster after the flower bloomed, similar to how dandelions work. Each white spikey has a black seed rod that pokes down to a head below.
    I enjoy reading your posts; you got the cutest dog; what type is it? His ears look like they could intercept radio signals. We used to have a Benji type dog, but she died of old age at 15 years.
    I guess where you live you could wear a kilt all year round. Here the elevation is 5600 feet, so winter puts the brakes on kilting. But after that, I wear kilts on trips, especially Phoenix, to the post office, to men's Bible study, to Ace Hardware, and just about everywhere else, except work. Not sure that driving a fork truck or walking on grated catwalks makes a kilt the best choice.
    Have a good one!
    Grizz is a long haired chihuahua. I'm not looking forward to his old age. He has trouble now (at 10) because his first owner abused him (broke a rib, electric shock) and he's already having trouble sometimes with going lame. Sorry it's been awhile. I just got out of camping in a no access part of the country so have spent today catching up. I'm hoping to go back but the weather is getting rough and I was going to take the grandkids but if it gets too messy we may not go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder Dog

Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    Grizz is a long haired chihuahua. I'm not looking forward to his old age. He has trouble now (at 10) because his first owner abused him (broke a rib, electric shock) and he's already having trouble sometimes with going lame. Sorry it's been awhile. I just got out of camping in a no access part of the country so have spent today catching up. I'm hoping to go back but the weather is getting rough and I was going to take the grandkids but if it gets too messy we may not go.
    Sorry for the very late reply. I cannot imagine anyone abusing such a cute little dog like yours. Glad you rescued the little guy. Little dogs like yours tend to be face-lickers with lightning fast tongues. Before you can react, your face has done been slobbered. I enjoy your posts. Have a good one.