X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible spotting of an estate tweed on the wrong side of the pond

I was out to breakfast with my lady yesterday and we saw a middle-aged chap who stood out among the crowd by being well-dressed. What immediately struck me was his tweed jacket.

It was a nice brown tweed with subtle gold windowpanes in a three-by-three pattern. He stood next to us in line to pay and I could see that the brown was actually made up of many different colors of thread. Overall it was a very fine garment!

I complimented him on it and he thanked me but had no hint of having come from the other side of the Atlantic.

I will say that this looked very much like an estate tweed based on the photos I've seen on this site and elsewhere but I have no idea how such a thing might have happened! Or it could be that since estate tweed just looks nice, some vendors copy the style without regard to the origins.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tweed is a fabric woven of yarns containing many colors.

And Tweed fabric may have stripes and bands woven into it.

Is it possible that you were seeing one of the thousands of windowpane Tweeds?

If the Tweed fabric you saw had small flecks of yellow, red, blue etc. what you may have seen was a distinctive fabric called donegal Tweed.

Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 6th May 19 at 09:06 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were in Indiana, you might have seen me wearing this jacket that day?

https://www.cordings.co.uk/sporting-check-jacket.html

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    I was out to breakfast with my lady yesterday and we saw a middle-aged chap who stood out among the crowd by being well-dressed. What immediately struck me was his tweed jacket.

It was a nice brown tweed with subtle gold windowpanes in a three-by-three pattern. He stood next to us in line to pay and I could see that the brown was actually made up of many different colors of thread. Overall it was a very fine garment!

I complimented him on it and he thanked me but had no hint of having come from the other side of the Atlantic.

I will say that this looked very much like an estate tweed based on the photos I've seen on this site and elsewhere but I have no idea how such a thing might have happened! Or it could be that since estate tweed just looks nice, some vendors copy the style without regard to the origins.
    As Steve has so rightly pointed out there are probably thousands of tweed patterns out there and of those, at a guess, I doubt that there are many more than five hundred Estate Tweed patterns in use, or for that matter, even designed. We must also remember that Estate tweed patterns were and are primarily used as camouflage for that particular patch of Scotland. So to those who don't understand, they can look rather out of place on Inverness High Street, or, down town New York! Although, I think the general description of "Gun Club" tweed patterns, was coined in the USA.

We also need to remember that some estates no longer exist. So that particular Estate tweed pattern is now redundant. There are also other reasons for these tweeds becoming obsolete such as, an estate may be sold and the new owner may choose to design his own tweed pattern. Or, a new wife arrives at the Estate and decides the old pattern won't do. It happens! Also, its a fairly expensive exercise to have your own tweed woven, so these days, many estates give their staff a clothing allowance to purchase kit suitable for estate work. To be honest, whilst there is an awful lot to be said in favour for tweed for Estate work and it really does look the part, there are some modern materials that probably suit the work much more efficiently.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th May 19 at 03:27 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Tweed is a fabric woven of yarns containing many colors.

And Tweed fabric may have stripes and bands woven into it.

Is it possible that you were seeing one of the thousands of windowpane Tweeds?
    It looked very much like that but with a more complex gold thread pattern.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    If you were in Indiana, you might have seen me wearing this jacket that day?

https://www.cordings.co.uk/sporting-check-jacket.html
    Wisconsin but that jacket is close. Thanks, all!