X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I've also seen the watch worn in the breast (hankie) pocket, tethered to the lapel buttonhole with either the chain or a leather strap, as a way to wear the pocket watch with a double-breasted jacket. Although vests were often worn under such jackets at one time (1920s-30s), it would have been tricky to access the vest pockets with the jackets buttoned, which they almost-always were. If you look at the "Jeeves and Wooster" TV show, you will see Bertie Wooster sporting his watch in this manner.
    It's quite the coincidence that you mention this, because I was wondering if I was seeing a watch chain in the jacket pocket of this photo of John Brown (posted by OC Richard). It's not a doublet and not a double-breasted jacket, but I would think the same issue might be at play. There's no other pocket accessible for a watch. When I look closely at that photo, I see the chain hanging out of the breast pocket, but I also think I see the T-bar and a pendant or two coming out from behind one of the buttonholes on the front of the doublet. Is it a watch?

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    When I look closely at that photo, I see the chain hanging out of the breast pocket, but I also think I see the T-bar and a pendant or two coming out from behind one of the buttonholes on the front of the doublet. Is it a watch?
    I do believe it is a watch. The chain is behind the cross belt, the t-bar is outside of the jacket also. A watch is the logical conclusion (based on the bulge of the pocket).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    It's not a doublet and not a double-breasted jacket, but I would think the same issue might be at play.
    Umm- that definitely is a doublet? Lol
    But I agree it does seem to be his watch.

I find it interesting how low the breast pocket is, almost on the centre of his body.
    “The convents which the fathers had destroyed...the sons, rebuilt…”
    —Hereward the Wake, ‘Of the Fens’

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McCracken140 View Post
    Umm- that definitely is a doublet? Lol
    But I agree it does seem to be his watch.

I find it interesting how low the breast pocket is, almost on the centre of his body.
    Typo on my part! That should have read, "it's a doublet and not a double-breasted jacket". My fingers got ahead of my brain.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post

Please excuse my slight aside to this thread, but McMurdo, that hose appears particularly thick and impressive! May I enquire the source?
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    Please excuse my slight aside to this thread, but McMurdo, that hose appears particularly thick and impressive! May I enquire the source?
    These were a gift from a friend, they are hand knit but I do not know who made them. I have similar pairs that were made in about the 1970's but I'm sure the pattern is fairly common & you should be able to find something like them. These look about right for example

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/5994..._click=1&cns=1

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    These were a gift from a friend, they are hand knit but I do not know who made them. I have similar pairs that were made in about the 1970's but I'm sure the pattern is fairly common & you should be able to find something like them. These look about right for example

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/5994..._click=1&cns=1
    Thank you McMurdo. They are particularly fine. Clearly, things were made to last in those days!
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus, I think you are correct that John Brown is sporting a watch in his (rather low) breast pocket in the photo. With all the other elements running across his midsection, it may have been a bit tricky to check the time. But that spot must have been easier than trying to access a vest under the doublet and crossbelt.

Andrew

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it looks like the watch is in the jacket pocket

Is the watch in the doublet's flap pocket?

This guy has the chain very low, it appears to be under the jacket

With doublebreasted waistcoat

But the vast majority are wearing the chain in the ordinary way

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th May 19 at 05:07 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McCracken140 View Post
    that definitely is a doublet?
    Doublets were the most common jacket worn in Highland Dress in the Victorian period. Next would be the Argyll (with versions for Day and Evening) and simple ordinary sack coats such as would be worn with trousers.

Shell jackets were extremely popular with soldiers but are very rarely seen in civilian Highland Dress.

Here's a great photo showing a Victorian civilian doublet. There was an amazing variety of "cuts" but they shared the "Inverness skirts" or "tashes" that define the Doublet

The Argyll jacket

Ordinary sack coat

(PS McMurdo you might want to resize that photo, it's making my screen all cattywumpus.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 18th May 19 at 05:20 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast