X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I've also seen the watch worn in the breast (hankie) pocket, tethered to the lapel buttonhole with either the chain or a leather strap, as a way to wear the pocket watch with a double-breasted jacket. Although vests were often worn under such jackets at one time (1920s-30s), it would have been tricky to access the vest pockets with the jackets buttoned, which they almost-always were. If you look at the "Jeeves and Wooster" TV show, you will see Bertie Wooster sporting his watch in this manner.
    It's quite the coincidence that you mention this, because I was wondering if I was seeing a watch chain in the jacket pocket of this photo of John Brown (posted by OC Richard). It's not a doublet and not a double-breasted jacket, but I would think the same issue might be at play. There's no other pocket accessible for a watch. When I look closely at that photo, I see the chain hanging out of the breast pocket, but I also think I see the T-bar and a pendant or two coming out from behind one of the buttonholes on the front of the doublet. Is it a watch?

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post: