X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Gentleman Jack

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gentleman Jack

I am rather enjoying this show on HBO. It's a subject I never thought I would find any interest in, but it's been a real eye-opener into the history of Anne Lister who I had never heard of before. The social workings of the time (1830s) in England (Halifax, Yorkshire) are very interesting. And the show has really catchy music too! Overall it's a very enjoyable show that's getting plenty of press.

Anyway, there is kilt content here. In the 2nd episode, I believe it was, our main character goes to London to see a "friend" get married. The gent she married was a Cameron from Scotland, and wore full kit at the wedding. I only caught a glimpse of it, but he appeared to be wearing a full plaid, long black hair sporran, etc. I can't seem to find any screen shots of it online or get any further information. But I'm curious as to how 'correct' his costume would have been for the times.

Is anyone else watching the show? Did you happen to get more detail on the kilted wedding scene?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I am rather enjoying this show on HBO. It's a subject I never thought I would find any interest in, but it's been a real eye-opener into the history of Anne Lister who I had never heard of before. The social workings of the time (1830s) in England (Halifax, Yorkshire) are very interesting. And the show has really catchy music too! Overall it's a very enjoyable show that's getting plenty of press.

Anyway, there is kilt content here. In the 2nd episode, I believe it was, our main character goes to London to see a "friend" get married. The gent she married was a Cameron from Scotland, and wore full kit at the wedding. I only caught a glimpse of it, but he appeared to be wearing a full plaid, long black hair sporran, etc. I can't seem to find any screen shots of it online or get any further information. But I'm curious as to how 'correct' his costume would have been for the times.

Is anyone else watching the show? Did you happen to get more detail on the kilted wedding scene?
    Tobus - I watched a "Gentleman Jack" mini-marathon yesterday and saw the episode with the kilted wedding scene. Obviously, the camera was not focused on the groom's party, but it seemed to me that he and his best man were dressed in accurately-portrayed 1830s Highland dress, to include baskethilt swords with bright (dare I say plated) hilts.

I, too, enjoy the "Gentleman Jack" programs, not only for the storyline, but also because of the beautiful photography of British landscape, estates, mansions and interiors. With regard to the latter, I find myself evaluating objects (writing equipment, books, clothing, etc.) for historical accuracy and have come to the conclusion that the set dressers and costumers did their homework. I note, too, that Gemma Whelan (aka Yara Greyjoy from Game of Thrones) is part of the cast as Anne's sister.
    Last edited by Orvis; 9th May 19 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have also been watching and enjoying the program for the same reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently caught up with this programme which I'm really enjoying. Knew about Anne Lister in passing but not much. Anyhow, the Cameron getting married in episode 2 is Cameron of Lochiel who, at that date, would have been Donald Cameron, 23rd Chief (10th of Lochiel) - became chief in 1832.

In terms of the dress, as opposed to the accoutrements, I'm not sure that I agree that he and his best man were dressed in accurately-portrayed 1830s Highland dress, Not the best but here are some screen shots I took.

Gentleman Jack - Cameron of Locheil.jpg Gentleman Jack - Cameron of Locheil-2.jpg Gentleman Jack - Cameron of Locheil-3.jpg Gentleman Jack - Cameron of Locheil-4.jpg

The tartan is obviously Wilsons' Locheil but the shades are hopelessly wrong for what would have been naturally dyed tartan at that date. Unsurprisingly, the kilts are modern knife-pleated rather than being box-pleated which would have been the case. Finally, depending on when this was set, that the jackets, which are decidedly military looking, are wrong. Until the very end of the 1830s matching tartan coats would have been the fashion.

Oh, and don't get me started on the Pheasant feather in the Plaid Brooch!
    Last edited by figheadair; 14th June 19 at 04:33 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She was an interesting woman born well before her time. The pheasant feathers in your pictures Peter, have killed any enthusiasm that I might have had to watch the show.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th June 19 at 10:46 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screenshot_20190615-092835_Chrome.jpg
    The only image I could find and not a good one at that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points well taken, Peter and Jock. The little details matter to us and the show's costumers should have made the effort to get it right, but I don't think the costumer designers were as concerned about the details you mentioned for the short time Lochiel was portrayed on screen. In my view, they just didn't consult the right people! I presume there is a portrait of Lochiel from that period that the costumers could also have consulted to get it right.

Looking at the basket hilt sword worn by Lochiel in the wedding scene, it looks correct to the period. My guess is the costumers probably got it from Armour Class (makers of excellent replica period edged weapons) in Glasgow.

I agree that the pheasant feathers in the plaid brooch were incorrect, but I suppose that given the flamboyance with which Highland dress was worn and portrayed by the gentry in the early 19th century, the feathers are probably not out of character.

Looking forward to the second season of Gentleman Jack, if there is one.