X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tip for pocket squares

In the past month I've splurged and purchased a couple pocket squares. In doing so, I've found a way to pick up high quality pocket squares at an extremely reasonable price (without huge time investment).

I did some research, and most professionals seem to recommend pocket squares in the 40cm-45cm size, or 15"-17" size. (If you're good with math, you'll notice the metric measurements are a little larger.) Most of the available pocket squares are much, much smaller. In order to find inexpensive, full-sized, quality pocket squares quickly and cheaply, I found one simple trick. I hit eBay, searched for pocket squares, set a filter for "used" pocket squares (which primarily filters out the under-sized junk), and then set a filter for silk pocket squares. I purchased a beautiful, red, Italian silk, 17" pocket square for a little less than $8. Subsequently, I purchased a beautiful, patterned blue, Italian silk, 18.5" pocket square for $10. (Due to the seller's limited photography ability, the real pocket square looks far better than the photographs that the seller provided.)

I don't really have a need for an infinite variety of pocket squares. I just don't use them that frequently. But I figure almost all of us could use one or three good pocket squares for our jacket pockets.

Happy hunting.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great tips, Karl!

I ended up with a nice collection of pocket squares several years ago, following an anterior spinal fusion surgery in my neck (C5-C6-C7 for the cognoscenti).

Because I was in a neck brace 24/7 for eight weeks (and couldn't wear a necktie), but was still traveling for business and making formal presentations, I accessorized with pocket squares instead.

At church it was all right, too -- I just had a much higher white plastic collar than usual to go with my black clerical shirt.
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revdpatience View Post
    At church it was all right, too -- I just had a much higher white plastic collar than usual to go with my black clerical shirt.
    Kind of like a "Clericool III" - breathing optional.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My normal collar is a Clericool III, as it happens. Pro tip: buy collars 1/2 size larger than your shirt.

The neck brace was more like a Clericool VIII 😀

That’s enough insider baseball for one thread, I suppose. Happy Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have many pocket squares and usually wear without a tie but when I do I always follow the rule that the square should never be the exact same material and design as the tie.
    However I have just found a swatch of sample material from when I purchased my kilt that I was thinking of making a pocket square from.

The look then would be kilt, tie and pocket square all the same material and tartan....🤔

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr stonk View Post
    I have many pocket squares and usually wear without a tie but when I do I always follow the rule that the square should never be the exact same material and design as the tie.
    However I have just found a swatch of sample material from when I purchased my kilt that I was thinking of making a pocket square from.

The look then would be kilt, tie and pocket square all the same material and tartan....��
    Well you could, its your choice, but----

Generally speaking many in the UK and particularly traditional kilt wearers in the Highlands almost deliberately try to avoid matching stuff and also taking care not to mix tartans of different Clans while we are at it. It is something that baffles many from the other side of the pond. Some from over there have tried the non matching tactic(kicking and screaming, sometimes!) and have been surprised how effective it looks.

Just saying.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th June 19 at 05:59 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Not a fan of Clericool collars - I used to wear Pontiff IIIs which were the high ones. Now I have ones that I have to starch myself. More work, but far more comfortable.