X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ghillie boots?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a mishmash of definitions on shoe types. I am by no means a master of footwear vocabulary. In my view brogue means it has some decorative holes in it. In a recent movie a character stated “oxfords before brogues” which made no sense as Oxford describes a lacing system and an oxford can be brogued. Even shoe companies sometimes refer to darby shoes as oxfords.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    That was my first impression too. It took me a minute to realise that the "ghillie" feature is apparently the way the leather is trimmed into tabs around the lace holes to mimic ghillie brogues. All in all, though, these boots still look very clunky with all that padding around the top. It just doesn't go with the aesthetic of broguing and ghillie brogue type lacing, IMHO. It's like putting chrome spoked wheels on a monster truck.

I do like brogued ankle boots and think they can work well with the kilt. But it's an entirely different look than wearing heavy work boots, and this particular style just doesn't do justice to either.
    Now, I've always believed that freedom of sartorial expression should take precedence over tradition (and I'm downright antiauthoritarian regarding the very concept of formalwear), but I think these boots just look like they can't figure out what they're trying to be. I attempted to come up with a metaphor of my own, but chrome-spoked wheels on a monster truck sums it up perfectly. Perhaps if they lost the padding and the hooks, and were a bit shorter, they might work...in other words, if they were just said brogued ankle boots with ghillie-style tabs. They look, at best, like they'd appeal to someone who pairs a utility kilt with a Jacobite shirt and a fur dress sporran.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12