X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    I've only recently been learning how to do this and found your explanation to be very helpful. I have one further question: do you press on both sides of the pleats?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    Yes, Jonathan one of the purposes of basting is to hold the pleat alignment as we move the kilt around as needed.

We press the outside - let the fabric cool - then turn the kilt over and press the inside.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt with basting stitch

Note that some of the lines may look wavy - that's because the kilt is hanging on a hanger. When the pleats are laid flat, the stripes of the sett do indeed align properly.

IMG_7983.JPG
    IMG_7988.JPG

If you look at it from below, you can see why I would like the pleats set properly.

IMG_7986.JPG

Edit: yes, I see the pinching in the first two photos. I'll correct that before I take it in tomorrow.
    Last edited by imbrius; 21st May 19 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added note about fabric pinching.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    Note that some of the lines may look wavy - that's because the kilt is hanging on a hanger. When the pleats are laid flat, the stripes of the sett do indeed align properly.

If you look at it from below, you can see why I would like the pleats set properly.

Edit: yes, I see the pinching in the first two photos. I'll correct that before I take it in tomorrow.
    Hey now, good luck! Good on you for basting your own pleats. I've done it all of twice and need more practice.

Guluck!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did such a nice job I think you should press it yourself if you have the means.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to cms1528 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cms1528 View Post
    You did such a nice job I think you should press it yourself if you have the means.
    Well thanks but I really don't. I should. I have only a very small hot sole non-steam iron. (It's my wife's from her university days. It has a water tank that's only good for spraying out the front unheated.) And I'd have to press it where I basted: on a small, glass-top coffee table, which is really not a good thing to be pressing on.

I pick it up from the cleaners tonight.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cms1528 View Post
    Yeah, dude. Basting it is the "difficult" part of the job. Once you baste it, the pressing is -- as my teenagers say -- "dumb easy".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Results

I have the kilt. It came back pressed very nicely, exactly the way I intended it. I have photos I will share later. I'm very glad I basted it myself, however, as the cleaner insisted that I did it wrong because the pleats were all different depths and that she would prefer to remove the stitching and do it herself. :P

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    I have the kilt. It came back pressed very nicely, exactly the way I intended it. I have photos I will share later. I'm very glad I basted it myself, however, as the cleaner insisted that I did it wrong because the pleats were all different depths and that she would prefer to remove the stitching and do it herself. :P
    Good Lord; you're dealing with an idiot!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad you stood your ground on basting your own kilt. If the pleats are correct after the pressing, then job well done for your effort.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep thinking about this one in horror. Did this individual plan to disassemble the top of the kilt as well?

In future, I wouldn't take a handkerchief to this cleaners, let alone return with my kilt.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast