X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my vintage sporrans

For somebody who considers himself a non-collector I've somehow or other ended up with a collection of vintage sporrans!

It's how I choose to accessorize my kilt

Clockwise from top: c1940 Day, c1950 Day, c1960 Eve (silverplate cantle), c1930 Celtic beast goathair (solid German silver cantle)

My usual MO is to get rid of things I don't regularly wear. I wear that goathair one all the time, so the Eve and one of the Day sporrans will have to go!
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are asking which one of the day wear sporrans to let go ... I pass. That would be too hard a decision. But, if you're wondering where a good home may be, well, let me ask the wife. I'll get back to you soon.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It became clear, when I put the four together like that, which to keep and which to jettison.

Keepers:

1) Celtic beast goathair. It's great-looking and very roomy. I wear it all the time (including yesterday and the day before). It makes for an excellent Evening Dress sporran.

2) The Day sporran at top, the oldest one. It has that orangish-brown colour that typified the early Day sporrans, and is so handsome overall.

About the other two, I just don't need two Day sporrans and two Eve sporrans, so off they will go.

I'm the same with musical instruments: I want one really good one to do each task. I might buy and sell a number of instruments to end up with the single best one I can.

Except with Highland pipes, where I bring two to each gig, both sets of pipes going equally well, due to the Highland pipes having an exceptionally large number of things that can malfunction.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 11th May 19 at 03:44 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: