X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best belt for daywear, or casual wear?

I've been on the fence for a few months about upgrading my kilt belt from my standard, 1.5 daily wear belt to a dedicated kilt belt. But the more I look at the buckles and styles, I just can't get behind wearing it unless the buckle design were completely blank or minimal. I'm now reading that traditional day wear belts were normal prong belts. Anyone have solid go-to designs, or suggestions for when and how to wear a belt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    I've been on the fence for a few months about upgrading my kilt belt from my standard, 1.5 daily wear belt to a dedicated kilt belt. But the more I look at the buckles and styles, I just can't get behind wearing it unless the buckle design were completely blank or minimal. I'm now reading that traditional day wear belts were normal prong belts. Anyone have solid go-to designs, or suggestions for when and how to wear a belt?
    I always think that a McRostie would be my choice, next time I buy a kilt belt.

https://www.mcrostie.co.uk/product-c...ar/kilt-belts/

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by California Highlander View Post
    I always think that a McRostie would be my choice, next time I buy a kilt belt.

https://www.mcrostie.co.uk/product-c...ar/kilt-belts/
    Absolutely one of the best! Check out their day sporrans too. I love mine!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    L&M Highland.ca have a few at a very good price.
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve at Freedom Kilts has a beauty of which I'm very proud.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like this would be my choice:

https://herdofsporrans.com/collectio...ther-kilt-belt
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 15th May 19 at 03:19 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this belt exclusively as I dislike the 'standard' Dirk belt and waistplate.

It is basically a wide belt just like the narrow ones worn with trousers. The buckle is attached with snaps.
    The buckle and the leather have a nice intertwined knot design.
    Available in Black and Brown.

I import these from Lee River Leather in Ireland and have them in stock but there is nothing stopping you from googling them and ordering direct.

They even have sporran hangers for those 'Gentlemen of substance', so that a sporran strap does not end up under the belly puckering the apron.
    (the plain buckle in this photo has been discontinued)

I think they look pretty good with almost any level of formality where you do not wear a vest.

If you walk into my shop almost any day, this is how you will see me dressed. The belt is actually just decorative. It does not hold the kilt up, the straps and buckles of the kilt do that. I wear a belt to give a horizontal line break between the top and bottom of my body.

Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 15th May 19 at 03:45 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

10. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and that's the one I was recommending earlier in this thread!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what your budget is. The belts shown above would all work well. I have one that was custom made for me many years ago that looks pretty much the same as Steve's: wide black belt with Celtic knotwork decoration and a plain silver-colored buckle.

If you are looking for a belt at a lower price point, it is worthwhile to take a look at the tool belts in your local hardware/DIY shop. These are typically wide with utilitarian buckles. Another good option is to do a search for "tactical" belts, which will give you any number of wide, sturdy belts designed for police work.

Andrew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    If you walk into my shop almost any day, this is how you will see me dressed. The belt is actually just decorative. It does not hold the kilt up, the straps and buckles of the kilt do that. I wear a belt to give a horizontal line break between the top and bottom of my body.

Yup! That's exactly what a belt is for. I discovered I needed one when I wore the old acrylic kilt without a belt or waistcoat and saw that I looked more like a sausage whose casing exploded on one end. Adding the belt did wonders for the visual perception of my body shape without actually changing my overall tube nature.

My go-to daywear belt came from a Meijer store, in their "workwear" department next to the Carhartt jeans. It's 1.75" width. I think it's a Calvin Klein? Anyway it has the tall-oriented buckle in a brushed nickel finish and two prongs. Plain black leather. Looks just grand with a kilt and decent with jeans, too.
    Last edited by imbrius; 16th May 19 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Add additional belt info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast