X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what colour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what colour

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    We're running into something here that I often see on the forum. Just because you once saw somebody, or a picture of somebody wearing something, it doesn't mean that it was either right or a good idea. There are a lot of clueless dipsticks out there.

A very few people with great style, spirit, dash, flair, verve, swagger, flourish, and élan can pull it off.

Very few indeed.
    Yeah I agree with what you say, but this guy stood out by miles when everyone in the place was either in a dinner suit or kilted, even the captain was kilted yes he was a scot and a cracking guy. Tobus you are quite right he should have been stopped at the door but dress codes have slipped a bit which has been mentioned before on this forum, I haste to say he didn't stay to long.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk95 View Post
    a silk coloured bow tie that would complement a colour in the kilt or hose.
    I don't think I've been to a "black tie" event in my whole life, or if those even really exist out here in Southern California!

But if invited to a "black tie" event I'd wear the titular accessory.

I think of a coloured bow tie as being informal, say with tweed

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th May 19 at 04:49 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Black Tie' is actually form or standard of dress (rather than just the colour of the tie). That said, it is only a modern (or novelty) take to add patterned/coloured ties. By 'The Book' (Debrett's) the tie is always Black. The 'standard' is:

Jacket. A black wool (barathea) or ultrafine herringbone dinner jacket, single-breasted or double-breasted with no vents, silk peaked lapels (or a shawl collar - a timeless classic IMO, and never out of fashion) and covered buttons. White dinner jackets were traditionally worn in hot climates but not usually in Britain, even in the summer.
    Trousers are black with a natural taper, and a single row of braid down each outside leg.
    Shirt. A white evening shirt, with a marcella collar, bib and double cuffs, with a turn-down collar (not a wing-collar), worn with cufflinks and studs. A plain silk shirt with buttons may be worn but any kind of ruffles or frills should be avoided. Alternatively, a fly-fronted shirt, where the buttons are concealed, is acceptable. Adults should avoid novelty shirts and ties.
    Studs may be black or decorative.
    Tie A black hand-tied bow tie (avoid ones which are pre-tied). The size of the bow tie should be proportionate to the size of the wearer.
    Shoes Black highly polished or patent lace-up shoes and black silk socks.
    Cummerbunds are not considered essential but may be worn. A matching tie and cummerbund in a non-conventional shade (pastels rather than burgundy and black) should be treated with caution.
    Waistcoats may be worn although they are not seen very often. They would always be considered a smart option. A waistcoat and cummerbund are never worn together.
    Pocket Square A white handkerchief in the left breast pocket is a classic detail.

Variations on Black Tie
    In the country for dinner parties with neighbours, and especially in his own home, a man may wear a velvet smoking jacket, usually navy blue, burgundy or dark green, with a black bow tie, dinner jacket trousers and evening slippers. While this dress is acceptable for the host, it would not be right for a guest to wear this for an event with the dress code black tie actually stated on an invitation, which effectively means a dinner jacket.
    Evening slippers, sometimes monogrammed or crested, may be worn and are more often found in the country.

Unless national costume is specified the usual form would be ‘when in Rome’ but in practice smart equivalent dress from a person’s home country – for example Highland, an Indian Nehru jacket or Arabian robes – may be acceptable (as an aside, I love that Debrett's specifically state that hose is 'never plain cream'!)

Hope that assists.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 29th May 19 at 09:16 AM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12