X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted at school

I teach junior high school in Ca, and our site puts on a Renaissance festival to promote active and hands on learning. The students build a project and on the day of the event, we go have fun. I dressed in my kilt (of course), and here are some of the funny comments I received...

I hope you’re not a wearing that traditionally!
    Did you borrow that skirt from your wife?
    What’s with the guy with the biggest truck wearing a skirt?
    Are you Irish?

I also got to talk about the tartan I was wearing (Dutch Friendship, created and modified by Kathy Lare), sporrans (my librarian wants one now), and all things kilts.

I relied on good humor (it’s a MAN skirt!), and my students and I had a wonderful day of learning and fun!
    https://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.c...issance-faire/
    https://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.c...ce-faire-pt-2/

2. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Steelkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    I teach junior high school in Ca, and our site puts on a Renaissance festival to promote active and hands on learning. The students build a project and on the day of the event, we go have fun. I dressed in my kilt (of course), and here are some of the funny comments I received...

I hope you’re not a wearing that traditionally!
    Did you borrow that skirt from your wife?
    What’s with the guy with the biggest truck wearing a skirt?
    Are you Irish?

I also got to talk about the tartan I was wearing (Dutch Friendship, created and modified by Kathy Lare), sporrans (my librarian wants one now), and all things kilts.

I relied on good humor (it’s a MAN skirt!), and my students and I had a wonderful day of learning and fun!
    https://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.c...issance-faire/
    https://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.c...ce-faire-pt-2/
    Congrats! I teach high school in Massachusetts and am kilted daily. My students -- overall -- seem to really groove to my "unique style" as some have called it. Being teenagers, I hear all sorts of questions!

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool that your school even has a Ren Fest! Maybe next year you'll have your own small tartan army.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to IanDMorrison For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Congrats! I teach high school in Massachusetts and am kilted daily. My students -- overall -- seem to really groove to my "unique style" as some have called it. Being teenagers, I hear all sorts of questions!
    That’s great! I’d like to wear the kilt to work more regularly, but as a probationary teacher (year two) in a very conservative rural district, I think it prudent to leave the kilt at home (at least for awhile!).

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steelkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IanDMorrison View Post
    That's cool that your school even has a Ren Fest! Maybe next year you'll have your own small tartan army.
    There was one student who was kilted (I didn’t recognize the tartan), and I made a point of greeting him (not one of my students, and I didn’t know him). Here’s hoping the tartan duo turn into an army!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steelkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    That’s great! I’d like to wear the kilt to work more regularly, but as a probationary teacher (year two) in a very conservative rural district, I think it prudent to leave the kilt at home (at least for awhile!).
    Thanks!

In our district, administrators are prohibited from commenting on teachers' dress -- I suspect there may be exceptions. However, I would wait until your position is more secure. Donald Trump received 40% of the town's votes (not MY town but the town in which I teach). While I'm sure some folks aren't pleased or whatever with my choice of clothing, I've developed quite a reputation and students and parents see me out and about and always call me over or come by to say hello. I have quite a few students and families who have commented that "this" family member or "that" family member has some Scottish connections.

Best,
    J

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a retired principal/ headmaster, I always cringe when someone says that policy forbids comment on someone’s dress or other personal choices. Of course they won’t comment or criticize, but it will be a part of the opinion they form which will inevitably and naturally influence other assessments which are more legitimate for them to make.

There is never any advantage in offending one’s superiors. A good rule to follow: “If it might offend and you don’t need to do it... don’t!” Yes you can. No it’s not wrong. Yes they’re perhaps wrong to assess you on that. No it’s not improper, illegal or fattening. Neither is it productive. Every organization has an absolute right to decide what image they choose to project and to consider that decision.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    As a retired principal/ headmaster, I always cringe when someone says that policy forbids comment on someone’s dress or other personal choices. Of course they won’t comment or criticize, but it will be a part of the opinion they form which will inevitably and naturally influence other assessments which are more legitimate for them to make.

There is never any advantage in offending one’s superiors. A good rule to follow: “If it might offend and you don’t need to do it... don’t!” Yes you can. No it’s not wrong. Yes they’re perhaps wrong to assess you on that. No it’s not improper, illegal or fattening. Neither is it productive. Every organization has an absolute right to decide what image they choose to project and to consider that decision.
    Usually such policies are in place to protect employees. My job isn't to please my "superiors" AKA my supervisors (I'm a teacher). My job is to provide a solid education for my community's students. Further, my supervisors (of which there are exactly two) aren't dictators or monarchs and I don't live in a dictatorship or monarchy ... thank goodness by accident of birth!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Usually such policies are in place to protect employees. My job isn't to please my "superiors" AKA my supervisors (I'm a teacher). My job is to provide a solid education for my community's students. Further, my supervisors (of which there are exactly two) aren't dictators or monarchs and I don't live in a dictatorship or monarchy ... thank goodness by accident of birth!
    I knew that would be the response.

You are right; you can do whatever you wish. You can also receive the consequences. All your choice.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I knew that would be the response.

You are right; you can do whatever you wish. You can also receive the consequences. All your choice.
    Of course you knew that would be the response as I knew I could rely on you to chime in with your opinion on the matter. Fine by me -- this is a civil forum to discuss such things. This entire situation has been discussed many times on the forum and your opinion has been stated so many times that it must annoy you to say it again.

I do receive the consequences of my decisions, as we all do. There is nothing that I must do in life except to die at the end of it. Everything else is a choice and those choices bring consequences -- both positive and negative and in-between.

The known consequences of my clothing choices are people recognise me and I receive a lot of positive social interactions. I have parents and students and even the head of the school committee compliment me. I have students lined up trying to get into the "kilted teacher's" classes. So I must be doing something right!

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast