X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thank you Jock.
    I can see exactly what you mean about the color variations from standard tartan, although the examples I saw had a kind of weathered/reproduction palette. The physical texture of the fabric is also field-rough vs the (relatively) formal-polished of standard tartan.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes selfcoloured or check tweed kilts were very popular in Victorian/Edwardian times and (based on the photographic evidence) fell out of favour by the 1930s.

But they seem to be making a comeback!

When I started wearing kilts in the 1970s I can't remember ever seeing anyone wearing a selfcoloured tweed kilt. Now I see them fairly often, especially in suits consisting of matching tweed jacket, waistcoat, and kilt.

Now if only the Victorian striped hose would make a comeback

Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd May 19 at 06:30 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Jock, are you grouping every type of tweed together in your assessment? Or would you make a distinction with patterned and the newer tartan tweeds.
    Because of its very nature as a tartan patterned fabric, one might believe it stands as acceptable substitute for traditional wool twill versions of the same pattern.

I am also including a link to Marton Mills, which makes some of these tweeds. So we can all see what is being discussed.
    https://martonmills.com/product-cate...d-collections/https://martonmills.com/product-cate...d-collections/
    They manufacture tweeds in various tartans, such as Stewart Royal, Black Watch, and Holyrood.
    The Marton Mills tweed tartans are what I would describe as tweed i.e. made from a mixture, as opposed to a single coloured, yarn. On that basis, many of the Estate Checks, whilst called tweed, are in fact tartan. They may not use what one thinks of as standard tartan colours but the structure is the same as many of the early C19th Check patterns woven by Wilsons of Bannockburn. For example, here is an example of their Pattern No.209.

209.jpg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have wondered about that Peter, on rare occasion, as my rather hazy knowledge of the technicalities of weaving and the mysteries of the finer points of tartan and tweed construction is lacking, in consequence, most of the detail has usually eluded me. I suppose as I come from the "you make it and I will fly it" school of thought it is hardly surprising!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    The Marton Mills tweed tartans are what I would describe as tweed i.e. made from a mixture, as opposed to a single coloured, yarn. On that basis, many of the Estate Checks, whilst called tweed, are in fact tartan. They may not use what one thinks of as standard tartan colours but the structure is the same as many of the early C19th Check patterns woven by Wilsons of Bannockburn. For example, here is an example of their Pattern No.209.
    I still get confused by this. Am I correct in my thinking below?

Tweed is defined by mixing multiple colours of wool before spinning into yarn, and it is tweed regardless of the pattern that is woven into the cloth. Where tartan, on the other hand, is always woven from single-coloured yarns and must generally follow a repeating pattern in both warp/weft. Does it make any difference in these definitions as to whether the yarns are worsted or not?

Anyway, when it comes to tweeds, I would desperately like to find someone who makes a tweed pattern like my favourite vintage jacket (below). Whilst it is most definitely a tweed with the yarns being a mixture of colours, the tartan-ish pattern of green, blue, and mustard is just lovely. If I could find material to make a matching waistcoat and perhaps even a kilt from this material, I'd be in hog heaven. You wouldn't happen to know of an existing tweed pattern that matches this, would you?

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus.

Does your jacket by any chance, have a Harris Tweed certified trade label (with the orb) sewn inside it?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Tobus.

Does your jacket by any chance, have a Harris Tweed certified trade label (with the orb) sewn inside it?
    I would have to pull it out and re-check, but as I recall, it does.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I would have to pull it out and re-check, but as I recall, it does.
    Well lets hope! I have a long shot in mind and then, I have an impossibly long shot in mind!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th May 19 at 08:21 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I still get confused by this. Am I correct in my thinking below?

Tweed is defined by mixing multiple colours of wool before spinning into yarn, and it is tweed regardless of the pattern that is woven into the cloth. Where tartan, on the other hand, is always woven from single-coloured yarns and must generally follow a repeating pattern in both warp/weft. Does it make any difference in these definitions as to whether the yarns are worsted or not?
    That sums up my thinking nicely.

Anyway, when it comes to tweeds, I would desperately like to find someone who makes a tweed pattern like my favourite vintage jacket (below). Whilst it is most definitely a tweed with the yarns being a mixture of colours, the tartan-ish pattern of green, blue, and mustard is just lovely. If I could find material to make a matching waistcoat and perhaps even a kilt from this material, I'd be in hog heaven. You wouldn't happen to know of an existing tweed pattern that matches this, would you?
    Have you tried the Glenlyon Tweed Mill?

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, the consensus then is: Anything made of actual tweed is, by the nature of the fabric, outdoors/day wear. This is applied to ALL tweed, plain, patterned, or tartan. It also applies to all jackets, kilts, etc.
    True tweed is a rough textured woolen fabric made by spinning multiple colors together to make the individual yarns (marled). Not everything marketed as tweed actually is. The exemplar tartan tweeds are true tweeds by this definition then.
    Is this a fair understanding of the subject and the decisions reached?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast