X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next question is where does Hodden Grey fit into this matter? It seems to fit the definition of an unpatterned True Tweed by having a mixture of colors spun together into the yarns.
    By being the official fabric for London and Toronto Scottish uniform kilts, it has also been used by them for official, formal occasions. Granted, those are military units and don't quite fully apply to our civilian world.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The military work with dress regulations, not conventions. We civilians have choices, the military don't.

These civilian conventions are the ones that cause the members here much head aching and confusion and some civilian attire conventions can be quite limiting when it comes to choices. Two rough rules of thumb with civilian attire choices are; "if in doubt----- don't" and "just because I can does not mean that I should". If nothing else, these two maxims do give us pause for thought on what might be a better choice of attire for any particular event.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th May 19 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Don't answer the phone while typing
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true Jock. Military apples do not equal civilian apples, but they can cross pollinate and influence each other. The first example I can think of is the old Napoleonic Sideburns. A civilian fashion influences military fashion, which turns around and influences civilian fashion.

Back to the last question though, does Hodden Grey meet the definition of tweed? And as civilians, are we applying the tweed standards for formality upon such a kilt or treating it as a normal kilt would?

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In short, if a civilian were to wear a Hodden grey kilt then he comes under civilian attire conventions, NOT military regulations. Therefore making a correct choice of attire is applicable. For what it is worth and in my humble opinion ,that type of kilt would not be a suitable choice for a civilian to wear to a formal event.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Very true Jock. Military apples do not equal civilian apples, but they can cross pollinate and influence each other. The first example I can think of is the old Napoleonic Sideburns. A civilian fashion influences military fashion, which turns around and influences civilian fashion.

Back to the last question though, does Hodden Grey meet the definition of tweed? And as civilians, are we applying the tweed standards for formality upon such a kilt or treating it as a normal kilt would?
    I don’t think hodden is exactly the same as tweed but it is a coarse cloth like tweed is. I’d probably view and use it in the same way. I think it would contrast the finer cloth of black tie in an unflattering way.

That’s a personal opinion only though.

It appears that the London regiment has gray doublets and it looks alright. Maybe with a gray barathea argyle or Prince Charlie? I don’t know I just have a hard time imagining it looking good outside of a uniform.

Here is Prince Edward in his uniform as royal honorary colonel of he London Scottish regiment.

From dailymail.co.uk
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 25th May 19 at 02:18 PM.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Two rough rules of thumb with civilian attire choices are; "if in doubt----- don't" and "just because I can does not mean that I should".
    Two of the most important things to remember from this forum. Actually they apply to human behaviour in general as much as for kiltwear.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

10. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    It appears that the London regiment has gray doublets and it looks alright. Maybe with a gray barathea argyle or Prince Charlie? I don’t know I just have a hard time imagining it looking good outside of a uniform.

I think it could be done, as shown in the photo below. I got the photo from The London Scottish Pipes and Drums Facebook page.

20375959_10203277582615687_7286491200271307040_n.jpg
    Last edited by Arnot; 26th May 19 at 02:00 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I note that those in Arnot’s picture are not in formal attire.Yes a black kilt jacket can be worn with a hodden grey kilt and very effectively by three, I assume, of the band members as I note the attire of three of them wearing is near enough exactly the same and the forth is wearing a PC and no bow tie. This particular outfit does not work to my eye. All this is an example of what I have been talking about in other threads recently where military and pipe band ———including civilian pipe band ———attire traditions differ from Traditional Highland Civilian Dress (THCD) and is a perfect example of my point.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th May 19 at 03:18 AM.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I note that those in Arnot’s picture are not in formal attire.Yes a black kilt jacket can be worn with a hodden grey kilt and very effectively by three, I assume, of the band members as I note the attire of three of them wearing is near enough exactly the same and the forth is wearing a PC and no bow tie. This particular outfit does not work to my eye. All this is an example of what I have been talking about in other threads recently where military and pipe band ———including civilian pipe band ———attire traditions differ from Traditional Highland Civilian Dress (THCD) and is a perfect example of my point.
    With the exception of the PC, wouldn’t the outfits fall under “day formal” since they are in bbsa jackets and neckties? Or do the informal sporrans throw it off?
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    With the exception of the PC, wouldn’t the outfits fall under “day formal” since they are in bbsa jackets and neckties? Or do the informal sporrans throw it off?
    Well no. They are bandsmen----I assume----therefore they are under band attire conventions. Again you assist me with the point that I am trying to make. There is a difference of thinking between Traditional kilt attire and band attire and lumping them together just leads us down a blind alley.

Remember, the black barathea silver buttoned Argyll(BBSBA) is the kilt(THCD)equivalent of the Saxon attire morning coat (morning dress). You don't see many civilian 'saxon" bandsmen playing in morning dress do you? Can you now see what I am getting at?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th May 19 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added an afterthought.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123