X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tweed kilts as more than Day Wear?

I had this question pop into my head yesterday:
    I know tweed vests and jackets are considered day wear, but does the same thought apply to tweed kilts? And would there be a distinction between plain tweed and patterned and/or tartan tweeds?
    I know solid color traditionally made kilts (ie- Irish Saffron, Archer Green, St Patrick Blue) are just like traditional tartan ones with formality flexibility. Cargo kilts are not.
    So then, how does the Rabble rule?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had a tweed kilt that I only used for special events, I'd not be likely to use it for mucking the barn. However, if that was my only kilt, I'd wear it to all social functions (expect mucking the barn).

A personal choice would keep one kilt for special events over others in his closet because it seems to fit those venues better. I have one kilt that fits better than the other right now and it gets used for everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had a tweed kilt it would probably be specifically for sporting purposes, like a shooting suit.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the tweed kilt jacket is the lounge/business suit equivalent when worn with the kilt and can be worn quite acceptably for non formal, therefore not black tie, evening events, then I cant see any reason why the same reasoning cannot be applied to a tweed kilt.

Are there that many tweed kilts about? I have seen quite a few pictures of tweed kilts worn in Victorian and Edwardian times. I have seen two or three pictures of modern tweed kilts worn in modern times. So to be honest, in rather a long life in the heart of "kilt and tweed country" I have only ever seen two real tweed(non tartan) kilts actually being worn "in the wild".
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd May 19 at 06:06 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tweed kilts as more than Day Wear

I think you are asking if a tweed kilt would work with black tie. IMHO and only that, I think some of the tartan tweeds might work, but the more subtle tweeds would seem rather bland and disappear against the black jacket and vest. Again, just MHO.

Cheers,
    David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    As the tweed kilt jacket is the lounge/business suit equivalent when worn with the kilt and can be worn quite acceptably for non formal, therefore not black tie evening events, then I cant see any reason why the same reasoning cannot be applied to a tweed kilt.

Are there that many tweed kilts about? I have seen quite a few pictures of tweed kilts worn in Victorian and Edwardian times. I have seen two or three pictures of modern tweed kilts worn in modern times. So to be honest, in rather a long life in the heart of "kilt and tweed country" I have only ever seen two real tweed(non tartan) kilts actually being worn "in the wild".
    Do you recall the setting you saw the two tweed kilts in? I’m guessing it was informal.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Do you recall the setting you saw the two tweed kilts in? I’m guessing it was informal.
    Yes, very informal! Both were stalkers, one down in Glen Lyon and one in Brae Roy. They were as hard as nails and wore the kilt out on the hill, stalking etc., in all weathers. One tweed was an Estate tweed and the other, as far as I am aware was not, I do not recall ever seeing them in trousers or a tartan kilt. Both lived a long and happy life and sadly, have now passed away.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd May 19 at 08:48 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, are you grouping every type of tweed together in your assessment? Or would you make a distinction with patterned and the newer tartan tweeds.
    Because of its very nature as a tartan patterned fabric, one might believe it stands as acceptable substitute for traditional wool twill versions of the same pattern.

I am also including a link to Marton Mills, which makes some of these tweeds. So we can all see what is being discussed.
    https://martonmills.com/product-cate...d-collections/https://martonmills.com/product-cate...d-collections/
    They manufacture tweeds in various tartans, such as Stewart Royal, Black Watch, and Holyrood.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Jock, are you grouping every type of tweed together in your assessment? Or would you make a distinction with patterned and the newer tartan tweeds.
    Because of its very nature as a tartan patterned fabric, one might believe it stands as acceptable substitute for traditional wool twill versions of the same pattern.

I am also including a link to Marton Mills, which makes some of these tweeds. So we can all see what is being discussed.
    https://martonmills.com/product-cate...d-collections/https://martonmills.com/product-cate...d-collections/
    They manufacture tweeds in various tartans, such as Stewart Royal, Black Watch, and Holyrood.
    It is impossible for me to know every tweed and tweed pattern even though I am a huge fan of tweed, so bearing that in mind I can only generalise, but with a certain amount of knowledge. I think that tweed is too rustic for formal evening wear.

I did a few years ago once seriously consider getting a tweed tartan kilt made. Macleod of Harris tweed tartan---my tartan and I will wear no other-----started to be made available and it still is, but after some serious heart searching and research, I decided that the colour shades were not to my liking, nor was the cloth as versatile as other wool cloth choices, so I didn't proceed. I really did not think the tweed tartan that I saw was suitable for formal events----- and still don't.

I hope this helps.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooops sorry, dual post. Now deleted. J.S
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd May 19 at 11:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast