X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    The reluctance to own an 11 ounce kilt baffles me.
    Despite your good experience, there are valid reasons to prefer a heavier weight.

Refer to Matt Newsome's article linked above for a few.

I guess it all comes down to personal experience and preference. My experience leads me to prefer the heavier weight tartan.

To each his own!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having lived in sub-tropical regions much of my life, I have had a couple of 11 oz. kilts and found the to be quite comfortable, durable, and nice looking. They were 5-yard kilts, so they were lighter overall and did not have pleats as deep as higher-yardage kilts. Still, a great choice for warm climates.

My most recent kilt is 13 oz. and 8 yards of fabric. It is much nicer than my earlier kilts, but I don't how much of this is having more fabric (8 yards vs. 5), heavier-weight fabric (13 oz. vs. 11), or more traditional styling (USAKilts traditional vs. Scotweb "casual" model), or even a combination of these factors.

But I would say "go with what YOU like." After all, you'll be the one wearing it.

Enjoy your kilt (whichever you choose).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure. Only one of my hand sewn kilts has been 11 ounce, and only because that was the only option. Would have gone heavier were the tartan available.

All I'm saying is most would enjoy an 11 ounce kilt too, and the SWISH is a great benefit.

And, to clarify, I'm talking about a hand sewn kilt sewn by a well trained kiltmaker from fabric made in a quality mill.

i.e. Mine was from Lochcarron hand sewn by Kathy Lare.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm late to this discussion but I love my Cameron of Erracht kilt. I've gotten a lot of compliments on its appearance and color(s). The "modern" Cameron orange-and-green tartan just doesn't talk to me.

Also, I believe the Cameron of Lochiel tartan is protected, or reserved to the family of the Clan Chief. Some places will sell it to you but they shouldn't. I know Jock Scot has a better view of this -- perhaps he'll ring in if he's around.
    "Simplify, and add lightness" -- Colin Chapman

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was protected the mills wouldn't crank it out.

I've been blocked in my desire to order tartan for a kilt because the pattern was protected.

Twice I've had to obtain permission to order a tartan.

I had some guy confront me at a highland games for a "restricted" tartan I was wearing. I pointed out he was full of it and that I'd owned a necktie in that tartan for 20 years.

Wear it proudly.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post

The SWISH of a hand sewn 11 ounce kilt is fantastic - that is why lady dancers have their kilts made in 11 ounce.
    Interesting that you should mention that, because just today I was looking over the House Of Edgar site and I was a bit surprised that their "dancing tartans" are 13 ounce:

http://www.houseofedgar.com/acatalog...g_Tartans.html

Here's the Regimental Weight tartan from House Of Edgar. I have a kilt in it, it's my favourite fabric, and would be my first choice for Cameron Of Erracht

http://www.houseofedgar.com/acatalog/Tartans1.html

My "ideal kilt" is heavyweight tartan but less yardage, between 6 and 7 yards. I don't really care for having the back of the kilt as heavy as it is on a heavyweight 8-yard kilt.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 1st June 19 at 02:04 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronCat View Post
    I love my Cameron of Erracht kilt.
    It's such a handsome tartan! And Erracht can firmly be dated to the 18th century, which is a plus for a traditionalist like me.

The "modern" Cameron orange-and-green tartan just doesn't talk to me.
    Well yes it's orange-and-green if done in "ancient colours" (which were called "vegetable colourings" when they were first introduced in the early 20th century).

In "modern colours" it's red-and-green, though for sure the red tends to be on the scarlet side, with a slight orange tinge.

For tartans with loads of red in them like "Clan Cameron" I like House Of Edgar's "muted colours" and Lochcarron's "weathered colours" where the red is softer and less orange.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm late to this discussion but I love my Cameron of Erracht kilt. I've gotten a lot of compliments on its appearance and color(s). The "modern" Cameron orange-and-green tartan just doesn't talk to me.

Also, I believe the Cameron of Lochiel tartan is protected, or reserved to the family of the Clan Chief. Some places will sell it to you but they shouldn't. I know Jock Scot has a better view of this -- perhaps he'll ring in if he's around.
    Lochiel is far from impressed with his family’s tartan being sold to outsiders, when I discussed it with him a while ago. Both he and I laughed at the memory of his father storming into a shop in Fort William who had HIS tartan for sale to the public. It was removed forthwith, from sale. The present Lochiel is rather more low key with his disapproval and just refuses to serve non family members wearing HIS tartan a cup of tea at Clan events at Achnacarry.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 2nd June 19 at 01:45 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Jock Scot -- that is as I remember it.
    But I also remember (2009, maybe?...) seeing Lochiel tartan items on sale in the gift shop at the Achnacarry museum. I'll look again when I'm over next year.
    "Simplify, and add lightness" -- Colin Chapman

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Jock Scot -- that is as I remember it.
    But I also remember (2009, maybe?...) seeing Lochiel tartan items on sale in the gift shop at the Achnacarry museum. I'll look again when I'm over next year.
    I have no idea. Whilst I pass the museum from time to time, I have not ventured inside for, err ummm, years.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast