X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe, personally, that when it comes to "off script" it's about proportions. Or portions.

I am a man with some extra portions on my middle. I like to eat, what can I say? So a small shoe, or small boot look toooo small for me. I look like a snowman balancing on silts. Added to that the high socks, with a narrower ankle cause a "toothpick" effect, further exaggerating my rotund mid section. Visually I believe I need to balance my shoulder width with a larger shoe/boot. This gives a more solid grounding to the visual appearance.
    So a heaver boot, through a narrower leg (I skip 'leg day' everyday), a wider lower mid, but a vested/cinched upper mid to create a slightly broader shoulder and to cover the waisband/shirt tuck area that speaks volumes about my volume.

If it's saturday morning and I'm making tea, it's my tea kilt and the black rock-band t-shirt of the day, untucked, because no one except my wife will see me, she hates tucked t-shirts, and I'm in it for comfort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dressed down

When going out casually, I tuck my phone and wallet into the waist band area on either hip. Sporrans always make me feel dressed up. And most of my kilts are modern so I'm more comfortable without a sporran. Shoes just depend on how much walking and weather.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Vyscera For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to confess to burgundy patent leather boots and matching suede miniskirt with satin blouse but it was back in my misspent youth when I could get away with such things. Come to think if it I could have gotten away with almost anything back then.

I have a pair of Army Cadet black ankle boots, (size 5) which I wear with almost khakhi long socks, black kilt, khakhi tee shirt and unstructured black jacket, topped with a fawn Tilley hat - I resist adding a bullwhip. In that outfit I can tackle just about any folk festival on any terrain.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    My hiking boots are Vasque Sundowners, so they are all leather and don't look all that puffy to me, although others may disagree.
    I wear my Vasque Sundowners for my casual wear too. I don't think they look puffy either, and I keep them with a good shine too. I think the shine helps with their water-proofing too.
    May you have warm words on a cool evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door. - Irish Blessing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kilt wearing is almost always casual; this probably will not change until the company Christmas party. What I have been doing is a simple leather sporran, my old tan army boots with socks that just barely peek over the tops. I'm uncertain about wearing hose and flashes with the combat boots because the boots are so tall (think just under where the calf muscle gets bulky). It feels more natural to me to wear it this way, but that's just me. I'm a big outdoorsman and am most likely to be doing quite a bit of walking whenever I leave my house. As others have said, wear what makes you comfortable. I wouldn't dress this way to go anywhere I wouldn't wear a t-shirt, but I'm seldom in places where t-shirts are not the norm.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AppalachianHighlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God bless my wife, she surprised me with a pair of Doc Martens 1460 boots. She said she found them online for almost 1/2 off during some flash sale. Anyway i think they complete the look. (although i wouldn't normally tuck in a t-shirt). But ya, this is how I'll go out and drink.

IMG_1562.jpg

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234