X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, so last night I'm trying to fall asleep and keep hearing this weird plinking sound...turn on the light and its a moth banging against the blinds. Now the blinds are right next to the closet where I store my kilts in bags and hang cedar. Too close for comfort... Bug-A-Salt time...
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the “Zapper” but your looks more fun.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Electric-...iABEgIrjvD_BwE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Aye, so last night I'm trying to fall asleep and keep hearing this weird plinking sound...turn on the light and its a moth banging against the blinds. Now the blinds are right next to the closet where I store my kilts in bags and hang cedar. Too close for comfort... Bug-A-Salt time...
    Clothes moths are very small (7-8mm) and would not be the kind that are large enough to bang into windows or blinds and make a noise. If my master's in entomology is worth anything, it is usually to calm peoples insect fears.
    Last edited by Macseobang; 4th June 19 at 10:29 AM.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that not all cedar is a moth repellent. Most recommend Eastern Red Cedar. Or Aromatic cedar.

And only fresh cedar works. While you may still be able to enjoy the scent of the wood, the concentration to deter moths must be very high. So most recommend refreshing cedar wood with cedar oil at least once a season.

In fact sprinkling cedar oil would be just as effective as the wood itself as it is the oil, not the wood, that does the work.

Camphor wood is felt to be a better deterrent than cedar. Many feel lavender to be a better than cedar but again it must be fresh.

Most feel that an airtight container to be more effective than a container made from, or containing the 'natural' deterrents like cedar, camphor or lavender.

In essence what you want is to suffocate the little larva. This is why moth balls have been used for so long. The balls dissolve (sublimate) directly to a gas and displace the air.

It is the larva that do the damage (The adults don't eat or drink) They are looking for dirt and sweat. They eat through the wool to get at the dirt. So meticulous cleaning seems to be the key.

As the common clothes moth prefers to walk, and not fly, most in my area feel the the sticky moth traps that will keep the adults from crawling around to be pretty effective.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, an expert....thanks...but dang...I still have fears!
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Remember that not all cedar is a moth repellent. Most recommend Eastern Red Cedar. Or Aromatic cedar.

And only fresh cedar works. While you may still be able to enjoy the scent of the wood, the concentration to deter moths must be very high. So most recommend refreshing cedar wood with cedar oil at least once a season.

In fact sprinkling cedar oil would be just as effective as the wood itself as it is the oil, not the wood, that does the work.

Camphor wood is felt to be a better deterrent than cedar. Many feel lavender to be a better than cedar but again it must be fresh.

Most feel that an airtight container to be more effective than a container made from, or containing the 'natural' deterrents like cedar, camphor or lavender.

In essence what you want is to suffocate the little larva. This is why moth balls have been used for so long. The balls dissolve (sublimate) directly to a gas and displace the air.

It is the larva that do the damage (The adults don't eat or drink) They are looking for dirt and sweat. They eat through the wool to get at the dirt. So meticulous cleaning seems to be the key.

As the common clothes moth prefers to walk, and not fly, most in my area feel the the sticky moth traps that will keep the adults from crawling around to be pretty effective.
    I keep my kilts in a closet lined with cedar flake board from the big box store. Just a few minutes with a sanding block seems to reinvigorate the scent of the cedar.
    Cheers,

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedsawyer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had such a closet once a few homes ago before my kilt addiction...thanks for the reminder....another project

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am doing most of the previously mentioned stuff.
    I Also run 6 clothes moth Pheromone traps.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ( Noticed they are currently out of stock.)
    They only attract clothes moths. The males smell the 'I'm ready" female clothes moth pheromones and get caught on the sticky stuff.
    I inspect them about weekly for new activity that causes me to re spray the cracks around the house with Fireback Bed Bug & Insect spray. It's pretty non toxic but effective for several months. I replace the strips on the three traps around the house and put the older ( but still effective ) strips in the three closet traps about every 6 months. This way the strongest scent is away from the closets.

I have only had one large scale invasion and now keep a stock of Fireback on hand for prevention and maintenance.

Regarding the other flying pests, I have a yard bug zapper on a timer in my living room with a catch tray underneath for the corpses. The timer turns it on at about bed time and off before I wake up. This lets it be the only light in the house. This UV light "magnet" attracts them all and the high voltage grid pops them - the big moths kind of sizzle and cook before popping - ergo the catch tray.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 9th June 19 at 05:47 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

Or, as I do... a plastic container, also holding a piece of cloth with essential oils of lavender, cedar, and patchouli... (I also have cedar blocks I might choose to put the oils on instead.) Okay, this is usually for wool yarn and roving as I haven't many small tartan accessories, but you get the idea.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea! During an infestation toss all the wool in plastic thingies...like the giant Tupperware ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12