X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new 'walking out' clothes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WALKINGOUT1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	36947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WALKINGOUT2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	388.2 KB 
ID:	36948Doesn't often get chilly here in the North of Australia yet I have been dreaming of getting a nice Tweed Argyle jacket and vest for quite a while.
    I bought this Highland Green jacket from St Kilda Retail (aka All Things Tartan from Ipswich, Queensland ) for an excellent price.
    My new sporran is from Artisan's of Scotland, Edinburgh. It was a bit of hunt to get just what I wanted online, these guys were great to deal with, 3 generations sporran makers, and I will be designing my formal sporran in collaboration with them.
    My kilt is Stewart of Galloway (the Cromarty manuscript version as per DW Stewart and The Setts), cloth from House of Edgar and hand sewn by Karen Manger of All Things Tartan.
    Gaelic Themes hose and my shoes are from 1985 when I was a para-military officer.
    The soles wore out and I had them resoled with the old classic Commando sole, very comfortable now.
    My bonnet is my first balmoral from 1976 when I played snare in the Qld Irish Association Pipe Band. Amazing that it survived, dear Karen Manger stitched a new band and ribbons on it for me, widened the band to fit my big head, and hand made the toorie!
    She didn't charge me a cent!
    There are a few holes in the balmoral but I intend to learn to darn and fix them myself.
    Karen is a true Master kilt maker having been making kilts for 40 years, learning from her mother starting before they emigrated from Scotland.
    Unbelievably Karen also made my first kilt in the 70's, a Macdonald Lord of the Isles Hunting.
    Heading off this weekend for the only area in Queensland where it snows (every 10 years or so) and it's snowing now!
    Great timing!
    Last edited by Stewart of Galloway; 7th June 19 at 12:29 AM.

2. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Stewart of Galloway For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'Day Stewart of Galloway,

I used to live just down the road from Karen and Doug in Ipswich. We've since moved to Stanthorpe (Ballandean). I'm in WA for work at the moment but my family said they haven't had any snow at home yet. There was a little down the road at Eukey this morning. Its getting to about 5°C but the wind chill can catch you.

I've just recently had Karen make me a kilt as well in weathered Douglas.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Queenslander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    G'Day Stewart of Galloway,

I used to live just down the road from Karen and Doug in Ipswich. We've since moved to Stanthorpe (Ballandean). I'm in WA for work at the moment but my family said they haven't had any snow at home yet. There was a little down the road at Eukey this morning. Its getting to about 5°C but the wind chill can catch you.

I've just recently had Karen make me a kilt as well in weathered Douglas.

Hope you enjoy your visit.
    Thanks mate, will do. Pity you wont be there!
    I managed an orchard at the Summit for 6 months in 1980.
    Love the place!
    PS your kilt sounds great, have you posted photos?
    Last edited by Stewart of Galloway; 4th June 19 at 01:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No photos yet. I'll have to take some when I get home.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Queenslander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen the same smug look in the mirror when I put together my first "walk around town" kilt outfit. The pleased expression states the obvious. Good job my friend.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart of Galloway View Post
    Thanks mate, will do. Pity you wont be there!
    I managed an orchard at the Summit for 6 months in 1980.
    Love the place!
    PS your kilt sounds great, have you posted photos?
    I believe we've had this conversation before. I feel bad for not remembering. In my defence i'm on my seventh night shift tonight though. The kilt is beautiful by the way, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good. Very smart.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very smart!

Seems that we've been doing this music for the same amount of time, pretty much: I got my first set of pipes in 1975 and joined my first Pipe Band in 1977.

I still have those first 1977 Ghillies, made by Keltic. They've always been very comfortable, but they just look too shabby now. And I have a Balmoral bonnet from the early 1980s that I still wear, a Mackie.

Here too, in Southern California, it's a bit warm for tweed! For my piping gigs I have a very comfortable and lightweight black Argyll, old ex-hire I got off Ebay. It wouldn't do to show up for a solo gig in shirtsleeves (but funny enough my avatar shows just that! It was an informal church gig).
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I've seen the same smug look in the mirror when I put together my first "walk around town" kilt outfit. The pleased expression states the obvious. Good job my friend.
    Many thanks! I think what I like best is looking like one of the judges at a 50's Highland Games or one of the Highland gents from Semples beautifully illustrated book from the 40's :-)
    ��Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83FBB08D-773C-400D-AB38-D14190866D75.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	36930

Name:	CA75F5EC-43FB-46DB-9A25-5AD0BDE10CBD.jpeg 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	36931

Name:	96D78C44-D6F2-4530-8E45-EF0B0D0FC22D.jpeg 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	36932
    Last edited by Stewart of Galloway; 5th June 19 at 03:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Very smart!

Seems that we've been doing this music for the same amount of time, pretty much: I got my first set of pipes in 1975 and joined my first Pipe Band in 1977.

I still have those first 1977 Ghillies, made by Keltic. They've always been very comfortable, but they just look too shabby now. And I have a Balmoral bonnet from the early 1980s that I still wear, a Mackie.

Here too, in Southern California, it's a bit warm for tweed! For my piping gigs I have a very comfortable and lightweight black Argyll, old ex-hire I got off Ebay. It wouldn't do to show up for a solo gig in shirtsleeves (but funny enough my avatar shows just that! It was an informal church gig).
    We must be a similar vintage Richard
    just come back to PB snare after a sabbatical of 30 years!
    Incredibly I am training under my first great teacher Buzz Ennis who is a legendary Australian drummer and still going strong in his 80's!
    We wear only vest and shirt here in Queensland in summer, it gets very humid and regularly 90 F +.
    Not kilt weather!
    Cheers!