X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    well, the jacket the piper is wearing looks much better than I thought the jacket in the ad would. It could be the photo settings, but the piper's jacket looks a little more 'brown' overall. Still, I'm more of an overcheck/houndstooth kinda guy. I'm glad you posted that pic, though; it's not as busy in context as a picture of just the jacket itself makes it out to be.
    I'm an unabashed fan of "loud" tweeds, and I generally think that they pair better with tartan kilts than most people imagine. Looking back at vintage photos, bold tweed patterns are all over the place. They offer a lot of visual interest, individuality, and style.

I have a jacket similar to the one that piper is wearing; I think it complements the tartan in my kilt quite well. The pattern size is not quite as large as the one in the OP, nor do the colours have as much contrast within the pattern. But I think when the jacket is seen by itself, it appears much more bold than it does when put together as part of an overall outfit. There probably is a point where it's "too much", but one would have to work pretty hard to find it.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks great on you! Your outfits are always impeccable.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda dig the blue bonnet. I'd probably wear a blue tie so that the bonnet wasn't the only blue in the outfit with the Isle of Skye tartan. He is dressed pretty smartly though.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post

I kinda dig the blue bonnet. I'd probably wear a blue tie so that the bonnet wasn't the only blue in the outfit with the Isle of Skye tartan. He is dressed pretty smartly though.
    Oh you chaps with this North American matching of colours idea!!!!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th July 19 at 01:59 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with the jacket that a vat of strong tea or medium strength coffee would not cure.
    It is a trick from the theatrical costumiers.

When an outfit has been run up from whatever is available and it 'doesn't light well' wetting it in warm water with a little detergent added, then dipping it in something to stain it brown tones it down wonderfully. It needs to be rinsed out once it has been stained or it will become darker at the lower end as it drains.

It also works for patchwork with garish or clashing colours.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Nothing wrong with the jacket that a vat of strong tea or medium strength coffee would not cure.

When an outfit has been run up from whatever is available and it 'doesn't light well' wetting it in warm water with a little detergent added, then dipping it in something to stain it brown tones it down wonderfully. It needs to be rinsed out once it has been stained or it will become darker at the lower end as it drains.

I had totally forgotten the old tea-staining trick. That tweed would look great in more earthy tones.
    Funny thing, Guitar players use that trick for making guitar parts look more 'vintage' and worn in as well.

////////

North American matching of colours idea? Of course we think about it! we're trying to look great for North American women...

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bad Monkey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post

It is quite amazing what one can learn in these pages.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Farmer Jones For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12