X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vaiozo 1910 Vintage Collar-less Shirt

This popped up in Facebook and looks like a good shirt for casual kilting.

https://valiozo.com/products/1910-li...-vintage-shirt

My only concern is that the 6-button neck panel might not look right tucked into a kilt. It would be great under a waistcoat, but I’m wondering if anyone has this shirt and what they think. There are some great colors.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut the collars out of several of my button down shirts and wear two of them with my kilt during the fall. I am not trying to set a trend but like the low profile around my neck. Unlike the shirts in the link, my shirts open completely.

I think these will make good shirts for a kilt if you favor that style.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a collar-less shirt, you needn't cut off the collars. Just get yourself a clerical shirt in what is called "neckband style". The clerical collar is supposed to be held on by studs, so just leave them off. The one shown is R.J.Toomey but there is a wide variety of makers and colours, in long and short sleeves. Just do a search for "neckband clerical shirts".

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pbutts View Post
    My only concern is that the 6-button neck panel might not look right tucked into a kilt. It would be great under a waistcoat, but I’m wondering if anyone has this shirt and what they think. There are some great colors.
    I don't own any of that particular brand, but they are very similar to the so-called "grandfather shirts" that retailers seem to be aggressively pushing into the kilt world these days. And, of course, they are similar to historical shirts worn here in the Old West, as well as other places around the world in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Which is, I'm guessing, why they styled it a 1910 shirt. I own a couple of shirts similar to this one that I wear on occasion with trousers. I suppose they look OK with a kilt, but they aren't my favourite look. To my eye, they tend to mix western wear with kilts. But that's just because I'm used to seeing them typically worn around here by cowboy reenactors.

But by the same token, I do on occasion wear Henley-style shirts (usually a cotton jersey type material) with the kilt for a very casual look. The construction is not that different, having no collar and just a short placket of buttons on the front. So I suppose it really just comes down to what you think looks right on you, with your kilt, in the casual style you wish to present.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a certain amount of overlap/Venning between Western Wear and Vintage Clothing.

Both sorts of makers/retailers offer similar banded collar shirts and four-pocket tweed waistcoats perfectly suited for kilt wear, being common in the Victorian and Edwardian eras.

In other words you can buy things from Western Wear sellers that have nothing specifically "Western" about them, but are the sorts of clothing standard in Europe and North America in the c1850-1920 time period.

Here, along with the Western-looking plastron shirts etc are typical Victorian banded collar (and collared) shirts

https://www.spurwesternwear.com/c-14...st-shirts.aspx

And here, along with some quite Western-looking vests are typical traditional British tweed waistcoats (the "McClure" in brown herringbone wool tweed)

https://www.sheplers.com/mens/outerwear/mens-vests/

I play in a trio that does traditional Irish music and we have long worn banded collar shirts and tweed waistcoats, along with trousers and tweed Irish caps, when we need to "look the part".
    Last edited by OC Richard; 11th June 19 at 05:41 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Banded collar' and 'mandarin collar' are search terms that will pull up shirts with this style collar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worn 'Banded Collar" shirts for decades (no joke). I settled on these:

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/damante-m...ridView=medium

Two reasons. Price is obvious. Main reason, there is a bit more to the collar height. Not enough to be uncomfortable. Yet, high enough that I've been able to wear them with the standard navy sports coat, or my suit. Obvious that I am not a tie wearer?
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of lightweight collarless shirts with short front plackets that I wear for casual kilt occasions. They look well with the kilt. Mine are lighter colors than the choices in the OP's link. Those darker colors are little harder to work with, in my mind.

I bought these shirts in Cambodia and Thailand. They are cool enough to be comfortable in the sticky tropical weather while still having long sleeves, which provide both sun protection and access to visit temples (can't wear shorts or short sleeves into religious sites in SE Asia). They work great in summer heat here in South China as well. In fact, I wore one hiking this past weekend in Hong Kong.

I liked some of the styles from OC Richard's Western wear link, too. I did notice, however, that the "lace-up" model in the lower left on the first page of the link looked an awful lot like the "ghillie" shirts that are somewhat controversial on this site

I own vests that were sold as cowboy items and have successfully worn them with my kilt. The look received many compliments. I have worn the same vests with a frock coat on other occasions.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Military tailors also do them to go under dress uniforms. A good old gentleman's outfitters may also hold something similar for wearing with detachable starched shirt collars.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screenshot_20190613-090610_AliExpress.jpg
    I sometimes wear one of these with the kilt. Its advertised as a mandarin collar and so not exactly collarless. The 1/4 button front doesn't interfere when tucked in to the kilt and it works well with a waistcoat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast