X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    For the past several years before we bought here in Solivita we travelled all over the 55+ GATED communities in Florida and couple in South Carolina. HANDS DOWN Solivita was the best.... OK, so WE BOTH LOVE IT...we feel we made the right decision for us, and enjoy everyday of our new life..... You can arrange a weekend. and if you would please tell them that I referred you, helps us along too..... PLEASE come down and enjoy a exploring weekend, and ask for COLLIN and MEG MacDonald to be you sponsors, we would love to help you out, and HONESTLY answer all your question or address your concerns. I only tell the truth and really have no dog in the fight....KEEP IN TOUCH.
    Hi Collin (sorry about the earlier misspelling),

My husband and I have already made an appt for staying a few days and seeing Solivita before we start our vacation in the area in early December. It would be great to meet you two. It really is important to get the perspective of residents. We are also looking at the Four Seasons, but Solivita is in the right price range. We're not too worried about the distances to and from places. We've lived in Southern CA where there is congestion. Right now we live remotely in GA so going anyplace is also a trip. It takes as long as it takes. We love the idea of the pools and fitness centers, the hiking and bike paths and the person who comes over nightly to make marinis...what? That last one isn't an amenity? We'll keep in touch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly will keep in touch. FYI we have a British Isle Club, and many Scots belong to that club, of course if we have enough interest we could start a Solivita Scottish Society. We have MILES of bike and walking trails, so you have no issue there. The GRILL, our local restaurant and bar, have specials every day for happy hour, good prices. Been to Four Seasons, sorry did not like it, thought is was very expensive, the other one is "Top of the World" did not like that one neither, its a mini Villages. One thing to remember, you DO NOT have to buy new homes. We were looking to do that at first, and decided since most of the homes here were built after 2004 (building codes made is mandatory for hurricane compliance for all homes in the codes), we felt we would get a better deal, and we did. We purchased a 2,780 Sqft home, with a nice screened Liana, and a 690 Sqft, 3 car garage, with over 1/4 acre land, backing nature reserve (did not want water), in EXCELLENT CONDITION, with many options for an excellent price. We got a lot for our money that we would not of gotten if we paid for a new home. Just something to consider, and our CD is already paid. We can give you more of the specifics when we meet. But just thought you would like to know that, keep an open mind, and I have an EXCELLENT Real Estate Agent, she really is good. So if you decide to go that route, I think you will save money and get more for you money, as they have increase the prices of the new homes, they are getting ready to close out soon. The new owners are really good, and upgrading many of the clubs and facilities. We will talk.

PM me and I will provide you my personal contact information, so you can contact me directly. We will be here in December, we are not snowbirds, so we live here year round. See you later for now...CHEERS.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 12th September 19 at 05:21 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are definitely keeping our options open. We will look at both new and "used" homes. We know we're looking for about 2000 sqft or so. Price will be a factor. At this time of our lives we're flexible when it comes to features. Some can be added later. We currently are surrounded by woods, so I wouldn't mind a water view. On the other hand, we have a small dog (gator bait!), so woods are fine. Solivita sent us a copy of the latest Reflections today, so I see all the groups. Definitely excited about a few of them.

I'll DM you my contact info.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being near the water or away from the water sometimes the Gators roam about. We have two little Yorkies, so we are with them all the time when they go out. I keep a very close watch on them in our yard, as we have Osprey, Hawks, Gators, Racoon, and spotted in and about a Florida Panther, I have seen Bobcats. So remember you are living in the country in middle Florida, you just don't know what you will see. But for the most part the animals are more scared of you, oh yes there is a good population of bear too, but have never seen one yet. So its like living in the Wild Kingdom, and as you go further south more and more. Again, I have more issues with mosquitoes, than anything else. Dawn and dusk, you are in Florida, and mosquitoes are out on the search. I use deep wood spray and no issues. Remember you are living in the tropics. Wait until you go through May and September the kissing bugs make their appearances, they don't bit, but they are all over the place. If you have a nice car you need to clean the front, to get the smushed up bugs off as their inners have acid that can cause issued to the paint if left on. I clean my cars everytime they are out. The swarms last during their mating feeling, about two weeks then disappear.

So when looking for a house, get one with the Liana, a screen back patio, entirely enclosed, with #20 Screen mesh, this is the very small mesh. But the Liana is where you will live, especially during the winter months when the evening are cool. Just think NO WINTER CLOTHES, NO SNOWSHOVELS, NO SCRAPPERS for your CAR, and NO SLUSH OR SNOW....worth it.....

One other thing to look for, when you visit other places, look at the distances between houses both side and back. One thing we noticed, Solivita gives you more space. Our house ins on over a quarter of an acre...so we have space and privacy.

Sent you PM and please lets keep in touch, and make plans to meet.....CHEERS....
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 17th September 19 at 07:10 AM.
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey cousin, small world. I'm still in Arizona but have long time friends who live in Solivita too.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Hey cousin, small world. I'm still in Arizona but have long time friends who live in Solivita too.
    Hi Cousin,

Don't forget to call when you visit. Go to the GRILL, and hoist a couple in kilt....
    Think you have to agree this is really one of the nicest developments in Florida....we love the green spaces.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't been to Florida in a long time...maybe again some day. My hoisting got out of hand so had to stop. Still have fun kilting sober. Have heard many good things about Solivita from my friends. She's into their belly dancing club...guess the ladies garb up and bellydance in the Solvita Mardi Gras parades.

"I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    I have more issues with mosquitoes, than anything else.
    Sigh. Mosquitos love me. My heritage is Scottish and Scandinavian and bugs seem to love the (formerly) fair haired. I'm used to wearing long sleeves every time I leave the house. Coming from GA, I'm used to dealing with bugs...even the love bugs, which might have just ended their season here. We are coming from an acre of land in the GA woods, so we'll have to be reintegrated into society, but I think we can do it. We're remote enough we swim naked in our pool. We've laughed that we'll be able to do that in Solivita, but only once. We've had armadillo, wild turkey, deer, and hawks...and one bobcat. Oh yeah, there was also that one alligator. I am looking forward to meeting you and Meg in December.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Riverkilt;1378705]Haven't been to Florida in a long time...maybe again some day. My hoisting got out of hand so had to stop. Still have fun kilting sober. Have heard many good things about Solivita from my friends. She's into their belly dancing club...guess the ladies garb up and bellydance in the Solvita Mardi Gras parades.

Its all about having fun, and finally doing things that you could not do when working and raising a family. For now I am still "settling in", working around the house, and getting rid of years worth of junk. I did join the Solivita Veterans Club, and plan to join the British Isle Club, and a few more, but not until I finish getting the house in order. One thing that did impress me was the indoor and outdoor pools, they have about 4 pools here. I am a former Coast Guardsman, and swimming is second nature, so going swimming means so much to me, and I get to do it everyday. Seems like I am finally growing gills.

I am still working, have one year to go, and will retire, then I will take full advantage of all the amenities, clubs, and facilities. Yes, I did get my "Golf Cart", and we lucked out getting a real nice house. Neighbors are nice, and we enjoy everything so far. Yes I did see your friend perform just last week at a local neighborhood "Talent Show and Pot Luck Diner". It was a lot of fun. Hope you do take a trip back, this place is growing a lot, and has new ownership that are investing a lot updating some the buildings and property, still looks fantastic here. CHEERS....
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 23rd September 19 at 07:42 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be working, my belly dancing friend and her husband are still goin' strong and she's 80 years old.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast